Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2022, 01:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My goldfish is eating my rubber-lipped plecos?

I had my first pleco for almost 4 years before he randomly died, and all I could find of him was his skull. (Tank parameters were good) I just got a new pleco a month ago, and he had been doing really well. I fed everyone yesterday, and he was attached to one of the plants. Then this morning I went to check on him, and all I could find was his skull. Just based on how she looks this morning, I think I know which fish did it, but Iíve had her for 6 years with no other issues. Has anyone else had this kind of problem with goldfish? I like having plecos, but I donít want them to keep getting eaten. Should I try a larger size pleco? My tank is 75 gallon with 4 goldfish.

Old 06-18-2022, 10:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

How big are the goldfish? How big was the pleco?

If one fish will fit in another fishes mouth its a potential meal. Its unlikely that a goldfish will hunt down a larger fish but they might consume an already dead fish.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I’m going to assume since it’s 6 years old, that goldfish is quite hefty in size and would have little problem consuming a smaller fish!

I can’t say I’ve had any issues with my comets going after other tank mates, even though the one is almost double the size of the others. But like Aiken said, I wouldn’t put it past them to gobble up a dead or injured fish. They literally always have something in their mouth! If they’re not eating they’re sifting through the substrate or chewing on the plants lol

Tags
eat, eating, fish, gold, goldfish, plec, pleco, plecos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com