My Gourami is Crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smithw14

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, so -

I have noticed that sometimes my very skittish blue gourami will change colors at night. Not a big deal, his mood is changing. I always think that he gets darker when he is stressed or angry or scared, but I guess it could be for other reasons (maybe hes REALLY REALLY HAPPY!!)

So, back to my story - last night I was getting ready for bed and I noticed that the Gourami was very dark blue, like he occasionally gets, his dorsal fin and anal fin standing straight up like he is trying to scare away a rival. It got my attention and I went closer to the tank and just sat and watched as my gourami begun to square off with the glass in the side of the tank. What the..?!? I sat there and for a good 20 seconds Mr. Gourami proceeded to try to attack the glass side of the tank. He would puff his lips/jaw up and press it to the glass and try to swim really hard. Obviously he did not move an inch, and he would stop after a second and then repeat this cycle for a good 20 - 30 seconds.

So I thought maybe he was seeing his reflection in the glass. But that was perplexing to me because I thought that the fish see out of the glass - didn't really know there was a reflection.

So then I thought maybe he's just crazy, or board, or is trying to get stationary exercise...I dunno..

Anyway, just wanted to share.

my paradise fish (similar to gouramis, also labrynth fish with attitudes) do the same thing. I think when it is darker outside the tank than inside, they do see reflections.

FishyPeanut said:
my paradise fish (similar to gouramis, also labrynth fish with attitudes) do the same thing. I think when it is darker outside the tank than inside, they do see reflections.

Ahhhhh - very good point! I can see that being the case. So next time it happens, just to boost the poor guys ego a bit, I'll let him fight himself for a minute, then turn on the light, making his opponent "disappear". That'll make him feel special. :)

mine gets freaked out so easily. Sometimes when he is eating at the top he will I suppose hear or see or think he hears or sees something and just take off around the tank, tossing up substrate and everything - which in turn freaks out the other fish in my tank- lol!

Back
Top Bottom