My Journey to Setting up a 75 Gallon!! NEW PICS!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, today I did it! I went to Petco and purchased a 75 gallon tank, stand, hood, and light as a package deal. They had it advertised for $475, but when they rang it up it was only $425. Can't complain with the $50 savings!!

I just got home with it about a half hour ago, but I can't set it up yet because I haven't gotten the filter for it yet. I'm still unsure of which one to get. I've decided that I want to go with a canister filter, but can't decide which one. I was originally looking at the Rena Filstar XP2 and Fluval 404 304, but someone said in the General Hardware forum that the XP2 wouldn't be good enough for a 75 gallon and that I should use an XP3. I dont' want to overfilter if it's going to have a negative effect on the fish, but I most certainly don't want to under filter either. What filter would you experts recommend?

Along with the tank I bought several plastic plants today, (2) 25lb bags of black gravel and (1) 25lb of white gravel for a little mix, and yesterday I made a 'double decker' cave made of slate and river rocks (from a craft store).

I'm planning on doing a fishless cycle which is going to be extremely difficult for me because I'm probably the most inpatient person on the planet. To try to speed it up I'm thinking of taking a couple handfulls of the gravel out of my 10 gallon along with some plants and maybe the large rock. I know that this can be done to speed things up, but I was wondering if I could also dump in the water from the tank after I do the gravel vac thing. Would this help or is not recommended for any reason?

I think that covers it for now. I'll continue to post updates as I start setting up the tank so you can see my progress. Just please don't expect to see anything fancy from me. :lol: I'm not using live plants and I don't like the cluttered look so there won't be much for decor (although I am going to have plenty of hiding spots!).

Here's a couple pictures of my new tank. I'll post more after I get the gravel and water in which won't be until after my filter arrives. When I can figure out which one to go with! :)

Attachments

• tank1_155.jpg
    tank1_155.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 91
  • tank2_102.jpg
    tank2_102.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 106
Awesome for you! I'd be just as excited!

Lots of opinions out there on filters, but I can assure you that no fish ever died from being exposed to "over-filtered" water. . .

I would get the biggest, best canister I could afford. I'd also toss something like an AquaClear 110 on the back for good measure and increased surface agitation.

If money was no object, I would buy an Eheim canister filter, preferably one of the models with an internal heater.

Man, that is a sweet looking stand! In regard to canisters, the Eheim, XP3 and fluval (in that order) are fine...no chance of over filtering. If I recall, you are planning to plant this tank right?

Jchillin said:
If I recall, you are planning to plant this tank right?
Nope, I don't know the first thing about planting a tank so I'll be using 100% fake plants. I love the looks of planted tanks, but I'm not experienced enough with fish let alone fish plus live plants! :)

So, neither one of you would recommend the XP2 or XP3? I haven't priced the Eheim ones yet so I don't know how much more money we're talking. I'll do some more research. :)

GouramiFanatic said:
Jchillin said:
If I recall, you are planning to plant this tank right?
Nope, I don't know the first thing about planting a tank so I'll be using 100% fake plants. I love the looks of planted tanks, but I'm not experienced enough with fish let alone fish plus live plants! :)

So, neither one of you would recommend the XP2 or XP3? I haven't priced the Eheim ones yet so I don't know how much more money we're talking. I'll do some more research. :)
Do the XP3 (about 20 extra bucks from bigals), and if you want live plants, put in Javas.... you can honestly know very little about those, and they will still be successful. Are you gonna have Gouramis :D

After doing some more reading last night I made on online purchase for the XP3. I'm so excited that everything is falling into place now. I just have to keep telling myself to be patient once everything lands. I really really really want to do a fishless cycle. It's going to tough!!!

Along with the filter I bought some plants and a fake piece of driftwood. I also bought a 50' python on the same website as the filter last night and it only cost me $40. When I was at Petco last night they wanted $33 for 25' and $90 for 50'! I just couldn't believe it! I guess you know I'll never be buying a Python through Petco!

Andyvette - I still haven't decided what I want for fish. :lol: I think my stalling on a coming up with a stocking plan may help me patient in the end. I think I may have a Gourami or two and I know that I definitely want Bolivian Rams or Keyhole Cichlids. I'll also be rehoming my Sailfin Pleco when he outgrows the 46 gallon so aside from that there's no definite plan yet. I still have to research to find out which fish can get along with which fish. :) I'll post a plan once I figure one out.

Along with the tank I bought several plastic plants today, (2) 25lb bags of black gravel and (1) 25lb of white gravel for a little mix,

Might want to pick up a couple more bags.. I found 75lbs was pretty thin, I had to add another 50 to make it look decent.

look forward to reading some more.

You can get python tubing from home depot by the foot for far less then the difference. you can actually build your own 50' for about 30$ (waterbed refill head, gravel vac, and hose from home depot or some other place that sells 1/2"ID vinyl tubing.

Very cool, you should look into getting a male pearl gourami, they are beautiful.

How fun! I loooove setting up a new tank. I think you will be very happy with the Rena. I have the xp2 (along with a fluval) on my 55. I really like the Rena. I have had 0 problems with it. Seeding your new tank with gravel from your existing one is a good idea. If you dont want to just throw it in with your new gravel for what ever reason you can put it into a media bag or a bit of nylon stocking. It makes for easy removal that way.
Congrats and have fun!!

Well, tonight should be the night! My filter and other supplies should be arriving at my home sometime this afternoon. I'm so excited that I can barely stand myself right now! It's been a long week so I'm really amped up to get this stuff! Last night I started rinsing my plants and gravel, basically all of the supplies that I already have so hopefully I'll be able to figure out the XP3 assembly and setup in time to be able to completely get the tank set up tonight. I'll post an update along with updated photos as soon as it's done!! I can't wait... this is so exciting... :lol:

Don't worry about the setup of the XP3.. Once you get it you'll see that it is a breeze to put it together. The pictures of it just looks intimidating. You'll have it together in no time. Just remember to let it prime itself all the way or you'll be swearing at it like i was at how loud it is. Just make sure all the air is out of it then it is whisper quiet!! Good luck. We all know how hard it is to wait for supplies in the mail. Non-fish people just don't understand.

that the exact same tank/stand combo I have for my 75gal. 'golden oak'.

it's proven to be pretty good.

Thought I'd post a quick update on my progress tonight. :)

It took me about an hour to set up the XP3 (I'm not very savy with stuff like this) :lol: It's all set up and ready to go! Also, in a previous post of mine someone suggested that I put my AquaClear 300 sponge in it to help speed up the cycle. I honestly didn't think that it would fit in the XP3, but looking at it now it clearly will! I'm assuming that since it was suggested that this is an ok thing to do. Does anyone advise me against doing this?

I'm getting ready to start dumping in the gravel so I can fill her up. :) I'll post more pics as soon as I'm done!

Update:

Well, just my luck!! I got the filter all set up and the gravel in the tank. Everything is going pretty smoothly. I get ready to hook up the Python to fill up the tank to find out that I don't have the correct adapter for the faucet. :roll: So, I cleaned up and here I am stuck waiting for another night to really decorate the tank. It's so irritating when this happens and it's pretty typical of my luck. :(

Anyway, here's an updated pick of my tank with the XP3 hooked up and with the gravel. Not very exciting I know, but I'm getting there!

Attachments

• tank3_151.jpg
    tank3_151.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 43
I unerstand you impatience. I got a 50gal for my birthday and i'm just teaming with ideas. But my parents won't let me set it up until we clean out our basement, and its just sitting there empty and waiting to be filled. I can't wait until i can set it up lol

Tonight I was finally able to get to work on this tank! I'm planning on adding a few more plants and a couple more terra cotta pots andother other hiding spots, but here it is so far! I think it's looking really good. Tomorrow's project is going to be adding the new plants and hiding spots and hopefully a nice background so the wires and tubing isn't visible. This is so much fun and I just can't wait to add fish!!! How will I ever survive a lengthy fishless cycle? :( :roll:

Attachments

• tank4_112.jpg
    tank4_112.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 58
  • tank5_128.jpg
    tank5_128.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 53
This weekend I finally finished setting up my 75 gallon! I think it looks awesome, but this is coming from someone who doesn't have a lot of 'aquarium planning' experience! I'm sure most of you could do much better, but I'm very happy with it so far! :) I can't wait to see fish swimming around in it. It's so exciting!! :lol: Click here to see the final set up and please let me know what you think!

Nice tank, looks like mine, except I didn't get a hood with mine.. :)

One thing you might want to check for is all the trim around the inside of the stand where the tank sits on. i didn't notice on mine, but the front right panel was pushed out of the groove, and there was nothing supporting the front right corner of the tank. That's the only bad thing I noticed on my stand. Glad I caught it before a disaster happened. To fix my problem, I had to completely drain my tank because you can't lift it when full, lol. And I had 8 bags of Eco Complete in it. But at least I could lift the corner enough without removing the Eco Complete to get the panel put back into place to support the tank.

Back
Top Bottom