My Julii Cory Cats are fighting all the time.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willhart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had 4 lovely Julii (false Julii I think) Cory Cats in my 60l gravel bottomed tank for about a year and they were great. Very lively and entertaining but all friendly! One died and the 3 remaining ones became a bit more subdued. I recently bought a 125l tank and put nice sand in it specially for the Corys. I bought 3 more False Julii Corys which looked identicle, however when I got them home the new ones were slightly bigger than my existing ones but exactly the same marking pattern and shape. The 2 groups were bought from different LFS' s.
After allowing the 3 new corys to settle in I transfered my origional 3 to the new big tank. Almost immediately fighting broke out and it has been going on for 2 months. Often 2 fish will seem to pick on another, sometimes two seem to be getting alonf nicely then a 3rd or even another pair come slong and they all start barging and chasing. Sometimes one fish (hard to tell if it is alwsys the same on) gets trapped into a gap or corner by the others, when they eventually let it go, usually because I startle them by sproaching the tank, the fish lpoks stunned and just sits for a while. I have tried to video the behaviour but it is not the most aggressive example and I had to do it from a distance on zoom so it is very bad quality but here it is...
http://youtu.be/YKzEnsO2kII
Should I be worried or even try to seperate my origional 3 back to the old tank? They seem to have equalised in size a bit now and its hard to seperate them now but I could probably tell.

I have no clue what is happening except maybe a dominance issue. It also depends on the male/female ratio.

I have always housed multiple species of corys in 1 tank and never had a problem, but I have always had 1 male to 5 female ratio...I like to help my males out by letting them think they are stud muffins.

Back
Top Bottom