My latest Aquarium Saga

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chriznat20@msn.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok well today I did my tests and my nitrites are finally dropping!! thats the good news... heres the bad news, I have had a rams horn snail for about a month. About 2 weeks ago, i noticed it had layed eggs in the corner of my tank, near the bottom, on the silicone in the edge. The next day they were gone, so i figured a fish ate them, or my pleco had a tasty treat... WELL! I was checking out my filter today and I saw a spec of something brown, of course, it was a baby snail. I promptly turned my filter off and put him in the tank (sorry to all the snail haters, i love snails!) My tiger barbs almost immediately noticed him and started "checking" him out by trying to suck him off the rocks, of which (smart snail that he is) burrowed a little deeper in them. I did check my other filter and he is the only one that made it - kind of surprised me!!
My question: Is it gonna get eaten? I have a striped rafael, a ringed loach, and a pleco, along with tiger barbs, gouramis, you know the usual.
My other snail is sm/med sized (about 1/3 inch) and they dont bug him one bit. I know they multiply, and thats fine with me, but with my bottom feeders, i worry he might be a crispy critter snack. Which of the fish that i listed likes to eat snails? can i take him and put him in a fishbowl with some gravel from my tank until it gets bigger to put back in ?? Please be un biased, hehe, i know how you people feel about snails. I just wanna keep this one, i have to say hes a pretty handsome little sucker and he was the only one to make it out of all those eggs. :D

Well, I say get him and some others in a bowl, and put it next to a window with a ton of light. They will mulitply, then you wont notice the ones being eaten.

Haha there you are again :lol: when you say get him and some others in a bowl, what do you mean? some other fish? or snails? i think my fish would eat him in a bowl :cry: What if i just put him in a bowl with some gravel and a plant... hey!! and my bala shark, my other fish have been eating his fins.... *$&#ers !! haha do you think my bala shark, my baby snail, some gravel and a fake plant would make it for a short while until my *quarantine* tank comes (remember the 5 gallon from petco that im bidding on ebay?)

I dont know how long the bala would last, I think a bucket would be better
like a 5 gallon.

I meant put a bunch of snails in a bowl, next to a window, where it will encourage algae. This way more and more will produce, also, put flakes in it, which will produce ammonia (snails strive with this)

Ah ha! ok, now i understand. well the only thing wrong here is i only have 2 snails-one that layed the eggs, and this one that survived. Its apparent the rest of the eggs didnt hatch/didnt make it, or whatever.I guess i shouldnt worry about the snail, i mean im sure there will be more :? by the way, whats up with this guy? 0X is this an alien giving everybody the finger? LOL its funny, there are all these "nice" little faces, and then that alien.

buy ten snails, put them in a bucket with a leaf of lettuce, put lid on...then let them go to town for about 3 weeks. You'll have plenty of snails.

Back
Top Bottom