My local fish store told me to add more fish to my tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The owner of my local fish store (a big popular store) sends random emails to his customers from time to time to see if they need anything. (And when business is quiet I guess)

He sent an email to me asking how my tank is doing.

I have a single oscar in a 55g tank. And I replied that I'm ok and don't need anything or any fish as I will be overstocking my tank.

His response was exactly this:

" I would have fish with him for sure

They are a highly interactive fish stimulated by the company of other fish! "

I lol.
I guess they need to make a living.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh my. Where does one draw the line with drumming up business versus not giving sound advice? Priorities I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, they gotta make money somehow.

I was planning a 55 awhile back, it feel through though :(

I was recommended:

1xOscar
1xManaguensis (Jaguar Cichlid)
2xRed Devil
1xPike Cichlid
1xConvicy
1xGreen Texas

He said that since i would be using a Fluval Fx5 that i would be ok since i had the filters for it! WTH!

But yeah, they gotta make a living somehow.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Although, i would but a medium-size variety of Synodontis with an O in a 55 but that just me :)

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

I think my local fish store is now trying to bully me or start an argument!

I did not reply to his email, as I thought it was not worth replying to, so he replied again back to me after just 3 hours or so since his last email!

This is exactly what he wrote:

"I do not agree!

They are social animals that crave interaction!

Fish are happier together!"

I am still not going to reply

He then sent a link to a YouTube video he does.
He is popular on YouTube.

I think my local fish store is now trying to bully me or start an argument!

I did not reply to his email, as I thought it was not worth replying to, so he replied again back to me after just 3 hours or so since his last email!

This is exactly what he wrote:

"I do not agree!

They are social animals that crave interaction!

Fish are happier together!"

I am still not going to reply

He then sent a link to a YouTube video he does.
He is popular on YouTube.

I mean, maybe if he suggested a bigger tank to go with the other fish.... but adding to a 55 with an oscar is a bad idea on so many levels.

Technically he's right... your oscar would certainly be stimulated by the addition of a few guppys or small goldfish..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Technically he's right... your oscar would certainly be stimulated by the addition of a few guppys or small goldfish..

You know what else would be stimulated? All of the parasite cysts lying dormant inside of those guppys and goldfish, waiting for the cues of a bigger fish's digestive tract to de-cyst and wreak havoc...

You know what else would be stimulated? All of the parasite cysts lying dormant inside of those guppys and goldfish, waiting for the cues of a bigger fish's digestive tract to de-cyst and wreak havoc...

Science!!! Booooooo!!!! I'll get back to you on that one mr. Smarty parasite pants:p

Science!!! Booooooo!!!! I'll get back to you on that one mr. Smarty parasite pants:p

I spent all summer cutting open crabs, removing cysts and then watching parasites de-cyst thinking they were in a seagull stomach. Just replace crabs with goldfish and seagulls with oscars.... where there's an animal there's a (lot of) parasite(s)... Sometimes we found 7 or more cysts in one crab. I'd hate to put 7 cysts in an oscar.

(Random fun fact- one thing I did this summer was examine animal poop for parasites, and one of the animals I collected poop from was a big oscar in the aquaculture research center on campus. Oscars can have a lot of parasites and you'd never know....)

I lol

Back
Top Bottom