My Mollie fish is having some issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rajeeshun

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I am very new to this 'Aquarium' world and just started 3 weeks ago. I need your help to learn about this

Last 3 days, my white Mollie fish is behaving unusual way. First it was breathing heavily, swam upside down and side way and today it is always bottom at the tank and not showing any activeness.

I had Ammonia issue at first week due to too much food and reduced the amount of food now. When I tested yesterday, the Ammonia amount is going down (tested with test kit) ..but still my Molli is behaving weirdly.

I believe my Molli is having some sick. How to identify what issue it is facing? Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,
Raj

I wanted to ask if you have cycled your tank? If not and you just put water in then your mollie that is why it is ill. The cycling of a tank with fish in it can kill the fish because of high ammonia nitrite etc. If the tank was cycled and there was a picture then I might be able to tell what illness the fish had.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wanted to ask if you have cycled your tank? If not and you just put water in then your mollie that is why it is ill. The cycling of a tank with fish in it can kill the fish because of high ammonia nitrite etc. If the tank was cycled and there was a picture then I might be able to tell what illness the fish had.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi Tomtom,

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what exact meaning of 'Cycled you tank'

I filled the water into my tank 3 weeks ago and I did not change it yet. Initially, the water in the tank was very cloudy, but now it is clear. When I found that my water has high level of Ammonia, I asked the advice from the person working at Aquarium shop. He advised me to NOT to change the water for a month in order to create Nitrogen from the Ammonia.

Am I need to change the water now?

I am at work now. I will take a picture and post here once I go home.

-Raj

Do you have a testing kit yourself or is the fish store testing the water for you?

Ammonia is the first stage of the nitrogen cycle. Nitrite is the second stage, and it is also very toxic to fish. I suspect that since your water cleared up and your ammonia went down, it is your nitrite now that is too high.

Is the molly your only fish? If you have others, I would do a partial water change as soon as possible to lower the nitrite. Actually, several water changes. You can also dose with Prime if you have access to it.

Back
Top Bottom