My name is alex and i have a problem..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm about to upgrade my 3rd tank, it is a 5 gal time out tank for my gardneri killi's, they were in my 29 but they de-tailed 3 of my {mod-edit} apisto's so I knew they were trouble, put them in a 5g. A month ago I noticed a tiny lil fish in my 10, 'twas a lil killi fry that had hatched from the java moss that was in with the killi's at one point but they made such a mess with it, i removed it. All that being said.. This morning I noticed 2 more tinyyy killi's in the 5g, ohh man they're at it again, knew I shouldn't have added moss. Now I am going to set back up my 10g (upgraded to 20, 10 is dry now) for the blossoming killi fam to live in (3 generations, m/f original pair, random 2 month old and 2 newborn). My gf told me any more tanks and it's a problem •__• hmmmmm Just to put things into perspective. image-3498194190.jpg image-3045835478.jpg image-1170961330.jpg That's my dining room and kitchen table :0

Last edited by a moderator:
Bless you! My name is Stephanie and I am an addict. I bought my "daughters" 36g bf for Christmas just so I could do another tank. I am working on setting up a cute little rimless cube in my bedroom. Just haven't figured out how I am going to sneak a tank in there without my hubby seeing it. I am also working on 25g rimless cube for my son's room. Again how to get that past him...

Bless you! My name is Stephanie and I am an addict. I bought my "daughters" 36g bf for Christmas just so I could do another tank. I am working on setting up a cute little rimless cube in my bedroom. Just haven't figured out how I am going to sneak a tank in there without my hubby seeing it. I am also working on 25g rimless cube for my son's room. Again how to get that past him...
Haha that's the one line I'm not going to cross, no tanks in the bedroom! I'd start researching ultra-quite filters;)

I've been keeping and breeding gardneri's for a while, as you've discovered they are really easy to breed! lol

Also, as you've discovered, they are not community fish. I keep all my killies in species only tanks because they can be terrors. Gardneris are too big for a 10 gal though. I keep my adults in a 20.

I've been keeping and breeding gardneri's for a while, as you've discovered they are really easy to breed! lol Also, as you've discovered, they are not community fish. I keep all my killies in species only tanks because they can be terrors. Gardneris are too big for a 10 gal though. I keep my adults in a 20.
They are nasty lil guys, they have been thriving in a 5 for over a month now, I'm thinking I will grow out the fry and take them to my Lfs for a credit, just the original pair should be ok in the 10? No?

All of my filters are really quite, but if they aren't it sure won't cover up my husband's snoring!
Haha hook an air hose up to him and you'll have a free bubbler! 3 panchax fry! They just had daphnia for the first time. Siva do I need to separate them from parent fish? The male seems to be keeping a good watch over them..he won't let the female near them.

I'm not sure if you've seen any full size yet...they get pretty big, the biggest of the seven species of killies I keep anyway. Also there are several different species sold by the name gardneri and mine might just be bigger than yours. Still if you keep just a trio that should be OK in a 10. Keep that extra female too though, if there's just one he might spawn her to death ;)

I'm not sure if you've seen any full size yet...they get pretty big, the biggest of the seven species of killies I keep anyway. Also there are several different species sold by the name gardneri and mine might just be bigger than yours. Still if you keep just a trio that should be OK in a 10. Keep that extra female too though, if there's just one he might spawn her to death ;)
Oh mine arnt very big, 2" full grown, my male has the red blue checker w orange fin. Aweful pic but he is always on the go!

image-3812456456.jpg

Yup that's what I have. From the pic I'd say that isn't full grown yet and, if none of them have exceeded 2" then definitely not. The females will get larger than the males. Most females will reach 3" and have a nice thick body. The males stay a bit shorter and slimmer.

Yup that's what I have. From the pic I'd say that isn't full grown yet and, if none of them have exceeded 2" then definitely not. The females will get larger than the males. Most females will reach 3" and have a nice thick body. The males stay a bit shorter and slimmer.
yah!!! They are about 5-6 months old, the female is a lil bowling ball haha , def bigger, less color though, pearl with lights red spots. I really like them, I was torn between keeping them in the 5 or returning them all together.. I know she liked to dart from floating plant to floating plant so hopefully the 20" tank will satisfy her. As far as leaving fry w parents?? Will they be ok "?

Okay at that age if they were in a 20 gal they may have reached full size but maybe not yet, and keeping them in a smaller tank slows their growth. Those fry are the best little hiders out there!! Hornwort works really well for them to hide in. They only seem to eat them within the first few days of hatching so once they survive that they have a great chance.

Okay at that age if they were in a 20 gal they may have reached full size but maybe not yet, and keeping them in a smaller tank slows their growth. Those fry are the best little hiders out there!! Hornwort works really well for them to hide in. They only seem to eat them within the first few days of hatching so once they survive that they have a great chance.
I'm thinking they were full grown when I bought then:/ they really haven't grown since.. I'm not even positive about the number of fry , the substrate is larger river rock and gravel so there is lots of nooks/crannies to hide in.

I've never seen them for sale full grown. If you don't believe me research the species and you should be able to find it's max size from several sources. ;)

That sounds perfect, killie fry do as well hiding in rocky substrate as they do plants.

I've never seen them for sale full grown. If you don't believe me research the species and you should be able to find it's max size from several sources. ;) That sounds perfect, killie fry do as well hiding in rocky substrate as they do plants.
no no , not that I don't believe you. I have researched and found 2 1/2-3 as Max for these guys. I'm going to inquire but I'm guessing my fish guy has these fish come in from people like me who find fry and decide to keep them only to find more fry a month later.. I have a feeling I'll be bring him some teenage killi's sooner than later;)

Yeah they should change the saying from breed like rabbits to breed like killies! I very rarely see these ones wild caught because there's just no need..which is wonderful! :)

Yeah they should change the saying from breed like rabbits to breed like killies! I very rarely see these ones wild caught because there's just no need..which is wonderful! :)
I'm actually pretty happy about all this, 25$ A pair , that's lots of fish credits! I'm going to get a java moss ball the size of a grapefruit for the new setup!!play some Barry white bahwww chick ahh wohwww wowhhh

Woah..are you serious..that's twice the price I'm used to. I'd be stoked!!

Woah..are you serious..that's twice the price I'm used to. I'd be stoked!!
That's what i paid for them:/ prob half that in credit upon reselling. I don't mind paying a little more at my Lfs because the quality is there! They take great pride in the fish they sell so it's well worth it to me.

image-3468466921.jpg

Ohh boyyyy! Funny thing is I didn't have to buy anything, all was sitting under the table:/

Back
Top Bottom