My new 120 litre / 35gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane l

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got my 120 up and running successfully :)
Stocking
4 golden mountain minnows
4 white cloud mountain minnows
6 black widow tetras
2 gouramis opaline and golden
3 rummy nose
And a mono sebae

Will add pics in the morning

And was hoping 2 replace the skirts with a more colorful fish any suggestions. Was thinking of mayb getting a Bangor catfish?

I'm not a huge fan of the black skirts myself. I think some dwarf neon rainbows would look nice.

I've had the skirt for 1 1/2 now and they have started bullying all the other fish

Attachments

• image-379644434.jpg
    image-379644434.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 64
  • image-781139330.jpg
    image-781139330.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 56
  • image-1914748977.jpg
    image-1914748977.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 59
I don't know if you have one yet, but the Mono is a brackish water fish and won't do very well in freshwater, and they get pretty big for a 35g

Technically you are quiet overstocked haha, as a rule of thumb, take your tanks capacity in gallons so 35, then put it in inches so 35 inches... that means that you should have about 35 inches of fish in your tank you have to use the size the fish will be as an adult for this rule so;
4 golden minnows - 8in
4 cloud minnows - 8in
6 black skirt tetras - 12in
2 gouramis opaline and golden - 12in
3 rummy nose tetras - 6in
Total - 46in / 46 gallons worth of fish (roughly) with the mono it'd be 54g, with the catfish and the extra minnows it'd be 60g worth of fish haha

Good haha, this rule isn't always completely accurate, but it gives you a good idea of what you can put in there

I think he has a good stock as it is aside from the mono. I didn't notice it for some reason when I saw the list earlier today. If he rehomes the black skirts and the mono he'll have more room. I would up the rummynose school if you plan on keeping them.

The inch per gallon rule is frowned upon in contemporary aquaria. The best example of this is stating that a 10 inch oscar could be housed in a 10 gallon tank. Even if you double that to a 20 gallon tank it's still too small. Now I've heard several variations to modify this rule such as fish over a certain amount of inches must be counted at 2 inches per gallon and then fish over an even greater size must be counted at 3 inches per gallon etc. Yet, there are still so many better guidelines to follow when stocking.

Also, the tank looks more like a 55g or a 200L in the pictures.

I think he has a good stock as it is aside from the mono. I didn't notice it for some reason when I saw the list earlier today. If he rehomes the black skirts and the mono he'll have more room. I would up the rummynose school if you plan on keeping them.

The inch per gallon rule is frowned upon in contemporary aquaria. The best example of this is stating that a 10 inch oscar could be housed in a 10 gallon tank. Even if you double that to a 20 gallon tank it's still too small. Now I've heard several variations to modify this rule such as fish over a certain amount of inches must be counted at 2 inches per gallon and then fish over an even greater size must be counted at 3 inches per gallon etc. Yet, there are still so many better guidelines to follow when stocking.

Yeah, its just a rule of thumb, and not completely accurate, but it gives you an idea, but I agree there are better ways to find out, but this was the first one I could think of off the top of my head haha

Yeah, its just a rule of thumb, and not completely accurate, but it gives you an idea, but I agree there are better ways to find out, but this was the first one I could think of off the top of my head haha

It's ok by me and I actually think the rule can work with smaller fish.

Technically you are quiet overstocked haha, as a rule of thumb, take your tanks capacity in gallons so 35, then put it in inches so 35 inches... that means that you should have about 35 inches of fish in your tank you have to use the size the fish will be as an adult for this rule so;
4 golden minnows - 8in
4 cloud minnows - 8in
6 black skirt tetras - 12in
2 gouramis opaline and golden - 12in
3 rummy nose tetras - 6in
Total - 46in / 46 gallons worth of fish (roughly) with the mono it'd be 54g, with the catfish and the extra minnows it'd be 60g worth of fish haha

I also would not listen to the rule of an inch per gallon rule. If you remove the skirts, and up the rumynose to 6 and each of the clouds to 6 you'll be good, and remove 1 gourami and the mono
1 gourami
12 total white clouds
6 rumynose tetra
6 panda corya

Inch per gallon is garbage, quite frankly, and I really wish it wasn't so widely regurgitated on forums. It is a gross oversimplification that fails to take into account any factors that one should consider for stocking, such as temperament, dietary needs, preferred temperature range, preferred area in the tank, preferred pH and hardness ranges, and on and on.

Inch per gallon is garbage, quite frankly, and I really wish it wasn't so widely regurgitated on forums. It is a gross oversimplification that fails to take into account any factors that one should consider for stocking, such as temperament, dietary needs, preferred temperature range, preferred area in the tank, preferred pH and hardness ranges, and on and on.

I understand, I was just saying as a rule of thumb for smaller tanks and that its not completely accurate, and I understand there is more than size to take into account

Thanks everyone for your input I just measured the tank and did calculations an the tank is actually around 200 lol

Yeah, I had a feeling it was. That changes things a bit as far as what you can stock.

Back
Top Bottom