My New 30Gallon aquarium... Photos included - setup changed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rohitp78

Aquarium Advice Activist
Finally i moved all my fish to my new seaclear acrylic aquarium 30 Gallons (36"L X 12"W X 16"H).

I seeded it with all my old decorations and old filter. After 2 days, nitrites-0, Nitrates-0, Ammonia-0.

Current residents.
4 - Harlequin rasboras
2 otos
1 dwarf Rainbow
1 Ram
1 African Dwarf Frog
2 Kribenses (got today)

Planned on adding
4 cardinal tetra
1 pleco ( not sure which)
1 Ram Female
1 dwarf rainbow female

Here are its photos

tankfull3dr.th.jpg

tank9la.th.jpg

tanknight9ol.th.jpg

Attachments

• tank_154.jpg
    tank_154.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 82
  • tank_full.jpg
    tank_full.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 52
  • tank_full.jpg
    tank_full.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 72
Nice looking tank. Just 1 question, shouldn't the aquarium be supported on all sides? That base just seems a bit too narrow to me. Hope you don't have any problems. Other than that, the tank looks awsome. :)

I had a very hard time finding a stand for this tank. Finally the maximum size i found was around 32 inches and the tank is hanging by 2 inches on each side.

Will this create a problem?? i am not sure, if it does then i will have to buy some flat wodden panel (36") and place it between tank and stand.

I would get the panel. All edges of the tank should be supported. The tank looks great, just dont want you to have a disaster.

I would agree with the panel too, make sure it's fairly strong and nothing that will break like pressboard or particleboard. Looks awsome.....

hmmm.. I first thought as acrylic is 17 times stronger than glass, and it will ok with 2" hanging out from each side, but i think i am wrong.

tomorrow i will go to home depot and get a strong panel which wiill hold my tank evenly. Oh!!! i need to do a lot of re-work.... but good that i bought python..:)

Also i have a very slight bulge in front if i look at the tank from side (present before setting it up). Is this normal? I think i will also call Seaclear on monday and verify this.

Thanks again for all the replies...

Not 100% sure if it's normal. Also, with overhang on the sides, could also add a little to the bowing. But I'm not sure how much it will affect it.

Looks good. I would skip the cardinals, add at least 4 more rainbows of the same species and a couple more rasboras. They are much happier in bigger groups.

rohitp78 said:
hmmm.. I first thought as acrylic is 17 times stronger than glass, and it will ok with 2" hanging out from each side, but i think i am wrong.

Acrylic aquariums need the whole bottom of the tank supported unlike glass aquariums that only need the parameter of the bottom supported. The tank looks great. :D

Acrylic is much more resistant to shattering than glass. That's the stronger that is referred too. Acrylic, however, is MUCH more flexible than glass, and will bend under weight or stress. I'd definitely support the entire tank.

done!! heading to home depot to get panel for full tank support. Thanks again for all the replies...

Finally i got a very strong wodden panel which is laminated, hence no effect of water. I placed it between my stand and tank so that my tank is fully supported.

I am attaching a new photo of my tank and stand WITH laminated wodden planel in between.

Thanks again for all those good suggestions..... :D :D

Attachments

• tank_new.jpg
    tank_new.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 37
  • tank_new.jpg
    tank_new.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 44
i have 40W now. I had to add a new bulb & fixture as the hood had only one. I got a cheap 24" 20W bulb & fixture from walmart for $9.99 and one GE 24" 20W aquarium light for $5.74.

Back
Top Bottom