My new 5g! Finally set up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! After waiting 2 weeks to let the filter media cycle in my other tank, I finally went out and bought the 5g for my betta! He's got so much room now I don't think he knows what to do with it! I'm hoping to add a nerite snail and some ghost shrimp later on.

img_1472942_0_d4905ec5c89e2dae2d4274b2db099b7b.jpg

When I first put my betta from the store "cup trap" he flipped out, swimming as hard as he could for 5 min. The past out for like 2 days haha

I really recommend 2-3 nerites once you get enough algae. I too will be adding shrimp to my Betta tank soon. Link to my tank is in my sig if you'd like to check it out ;)

I really recommend 2-3 nerites once you get enough algae. I too will be adding shrimp to my Betta tank soon. Link to my tank is in my sig if you'd like to check it out ;)

How long should it take for enough algae to grow? I have algae wafers I could feed to supplement but my worry is that the betta won't produce enough waste for the snails and shrimp.

How long should it take for enough algae to grow? I have algae wafers I could feed to supplement but my worry is that the betta won't produce enough waste for the snails and shrimp.
the snails and shrimp dont eat waste,theye eat uneaten food and in some cases algae

Yeah, so would an algae wafer be okay to feed the shrimp? Also, how many ghost shrimp do you think would be good for a 5g?
yeah,mine love the wafers. and you can easily have 10,or more if you wanted

If you've got algae wafers then you can get the shrimp right away. I'd wait a few weeks before getting the snails though. Let the tank get a little bit of algae. The snails will have no chance against the shrimp with algae wafers. Once theirs enough algae on the glass, equipment or gravel go ahead and get the snails.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Could I have some shrimp in my 5 g with my betta and I have 1 Corydora in there too! Would it work or would shrimp try and get my Cory?

Back
Top Bottom