My new Gourami :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaysono

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, so my patience level is a little short. I did a questionable thing: I purchased a Neon Dwarf Blue Gourami from Petco late Saturday. My rationale was twofold:

A) My wife has a single generic goldfish in a 2 gallon bowl she's had for 4 years named Patrick and recently acquired a larger 3.5 - 4 gal bowl from a friend and I offered to buy her some more gravel and a plant.

B) The Gourami has a better chance with me than at Petco in the long run.

So anyway, I picked out a specific male in teh tank due to his vibrant coloring and overall look of health and brought him home.

After acclimation and release, he went straight for a decoration cave and holed up in there pretty much for the remainder of the day.

But by yesterday he has felt pretty comfortable in displaying himself in the front of the tank as long as we view from a distance. As I approach the tank, he bolts, but it's a matter of time. He's getting braver by the hour!

Little slow like my BH's were on figuiring out the whole feeding thing, but I have faith he'll come around. Against the black and turqoise gravel I have, he's very beautiful.

One behavior question/observation: His tail end tends to 'shimmy' here and there (wiggles very quickly like a cold shiver)...perhaps a territorial thing? A mating dance? Individual personality? Dunno...

Anyway, we're trying to come up with a name.

By 4 leapord danio's are named after the FoodTV's Iron Chefs.

3 BH's are named Manny, Moe, & Jack (Pepboys).

I'm thinking of Horus, the egyptian diety possibly. I'd like something that defines his bold turqoise coloring, and something out of the ordinary.

Is your tank heated? He's not in w/ the goldfish right? 8O I dunno what the 'shimmy' is. I was just making sure the little guy had heat. Congrats on the new fish!

Male DG's are very territorial and some are quite aggressive, from personal experience, so watch him with the BH's. I think the danios are safe, and he may not be too bad, but watch him. Make sure he has some kind of plant, fake or real, that extends all the way to the surface, as it will go a long way to helping him feel comfortable.

Congrats on your new fishie, BB King (in honor of his passing :cry: ) and I think he is a great addition.

EDIT: Well, another AA member apparently got punk'd and BB is actually alive and well (thank goodness)!

bunebop said:
Is your tank heated? He's not in w/ the goldfish right? 8O I dunno what the 'shimmy' is. I was just making sure the little guy had heat. Congrats on the new fish!

Yes, my tank is heated, generally about 78-80 degrees. The goldfish has his own seperate home

it might be trying to itch itself but doesnt sound right. i have a dwarf dwarf gourami. named sparky. its a sparkling gourami which gets around 1.5 inches. :)

shimmy is kinda like shiver? maybe its sick?

I believe the tail action is a behavior mechanism, not an indication of any illness or parasite. They are relatively territorial and it will curve its tail around to one side to make itself appear larger, or otherwise posture to other fish to let them know.

Back
Top Bottom