My new neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sk3lly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi I'm new to the site and this is my first post. Last Saturday I set up my very first tropical tank with no prior experience. I let it cycle fish less for a week before buying 6 neon tetras yesterday. (I know I should wait longer but I became too impatient). I fed my fish today using tropical flakes but the tetras seem uninterested in food :( I was expecting them to go eat the flakes from the surface. Firstly is this normal? Or is there perhaps something wrong? Any advice please.
Thanks

Hi I'm new to the site and this is my first post. Last Saturday I set up my very first tropical tank with no prior experience. I let it cycle fish less for a week before buying 6 neon tetras yesterday. (I know I should wait longer but I became too impatient). I fed my fish today using tropical flakes but the tetras seem uninterested in food :( I was expecting them to go eat the flakes from the surface. Firstly is this normal? Or is there perhaps something wrong? Any advice please. Thanks
hello and welcome! Sometimes fish just don't want them, maybe try and crush the flakes super small, and they may even pick done off the gravel later! Post some pic!!!

Cycling a tank isn't as simple as leaving it to run with water for a week. You need to feed the tank with ammonia for a minimum of serveral weeks.

How big is your tank may i ask?

What flake are you feeding? The thing is with fish flake, cheap flake is very hit and miss, its better to spend alittle more and get something of good quality. Also theyve only been in there a day, maybe they havent settled in and dont feel too comfortable at the moment.

Last edited:
Cycling a tank isn't as simple as leaving it to run with water for a week. You need to feed the tank with ammonia for a minimum of serveral weeks. How big is your tank may i ask? What flake are you feeding? The thing is with fish flake, cheap flake is very hit and miss, its better to spend alittle more and get something of good quality. Also theyve only been in there a day, maybe they havent settled in and dont feel too comfortable at the moment.
agreed, I feed my fish tetra colour and they all love it!

I won't repeat what's been said, but cycling is one of the most important things to learn about fish keeping, ^all the above is good advice :)
That being said, when I first got my neon tetras I had the same problem. I think perhaps they were not accustomed to eating flake food so it took them a while to warm up to the idea that their food only floats on the surface. I crunched up the flakes very small, let them soak in a cup of tank water for a minute and then poured it into the tank and the tetras seemed to like that much better because it swirled around in the water column.

I won't repeat what's been said, but cycling is one of the most important things to learn about fish keeping, ^all the above is good advice :) That being said, when I first got my neon tetras I had the same problem. I think perhaps they were not accustomed to eating flake food so it took them a while to warm up to the idea that their food only floats on the surface. I crunched up the flakes very small, let them soak in a cup of tank water for a minute and then poured it into the tank and the tetras seemed to like that much better because it swirled around in the water column.
agree with this

Ok I will try answer as many questions as I can :) firstly it's a fluval Roma 90. So 90litres which I think is around 23 gallons. I am using the flake that came with the tank. It's called nutrafin max. Although I will buy a new flake food if the feedback I get off you guys is poor. I used a liquid bacteria called nutrafin cycle to kick start the cycling process and I have an API liquid test kit. I tested my water every day and saw my levels changing as they should. I did a lot of research on this. My nitrite and ammonia hadn't quite reached 0 when I added my tetras tho. But the nutrafin cycle said I could add fish instantly but I waited a week still.

Attachments

• image-2049249697.jpg
    image-2049249697.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 94
  • image-2817075674.jpg
    image-2817075674.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 98
Also is there a reason why my tetras spend most of their time on the edge of the tank?

Mine often do the same, playing in the current from the pump. Quite enjoyable to watch actually. I am a relative newbie so can't guarantee this is normal/ ideal behaviour...

. Mine often do the same, playing in the current from the pump. Quite enjoyable to watch actually. I am a relative newbie so can't guarantee this is normal/ ideal behaviour...

Yea this is exactly what it seems they are doing. They hang in the current a lot. Just wish they would venture to the surface to find their food!!

Yea this is exactly what it seems they are doing. They hang in the current a lot. Just wish they would venture to the surface to find their food!!

I didnt have a great deal of trouble getting my neons to start eating, but the first couple of times they wouldn't go near the surface at feed time. Then i put the food in the filters current (outtake points towards surface) and it caused the flakes to swirl around underwater. Neons saw the flakes, chowed down straight away. Since then I've had no issues getting them to the surface at feed time. Hope this helps

I didnt have a great deal of trouble getting my neons to start eating, but the first couple of times they wouldn't go near the surface at feed time. Then i put the food in the filters current (outtake points towards surface) and it caused the flakes to swirl around underwater. Neons saw the flakes, chowed down straight away. Since then I've had no issues getting them to the surface at feed time. Hope this helps

Well my crushed up flakes do eventually sink and the tetras eat the food if they see it. A lot of it ends up wasted on the floor. Altho i do notice them nibbling the flakes from the floor i worry that they arent eating enough

It can take a few days for them to adjust to their new home. They really are wonderful fish, so just be patient with them. Keep your water nice and clean.

It can take a few days for them to adjust to their new home. They really are wonderful fish, so just be patient with them. Keep your water nice and clean.
Brilliant little fish! So fast and colourful. Id like some black neon tetras and harlequin rasporas but i want to wait for the bioload to adjust and even out before adding more. Any other good suggestions for community fish for a 90litre (23 gallon) tank? Currently 6 neons and 4 amano shrimp

Definitely up your neon school. I also love having a gourami or betta with them. Maybe a small pleco or a school of cory cats for the bottom?

Definitely up your neon school. I also love having a gourami or betta with them. Maybe a small pleco or a school of cory cats for the bottom?

Now i had a look and i think the plecos and cory cats would possibly get too big?? I dont know. But i did see pygmy corys that are kinda cool. Will they accept flake and pellets or is it just bloodworm?

There are hundreds of types of plecos and cory's. Many species of each would easily be suitable for your tank. As for feeding them, that depends on what species you get. Most are vegetarian that would require algae wafers and fresh veggies like cucumber.

There are hundreds of types of plecos and cory's. Many species of each would easily be suitable for your tank. As for feeding them, that depends on what species you get. Most are vegetarian that would require algae wafers and fresh veggies like cucumber.

I will look into it first but id like to get more schoaling fish first, add more colour to the aquarium. I like cherry barbs but want to let my tank mature more. Good news ive just done a water change (about 20litres) and refilled and cleaned, then fed my neons and they are beginning to feed from the surface :)

Back
Top Bottom