My newbie friend needs advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's very sad when people asks for advice and when it's not what they want to hear just go and do what they want at the expense of the fish.

I have a 4000g pond, a smaller pond, and kept 8 now very large goldfish that now reside with the grandkids for years. I had 4- 8+ inch goldies in each 55g tank that grew tons the first year. The ammonia levels in the tank will most likely kill them quickly as they release copious amounts of waste and ammonia that will use the buffers in the water in no time causing ph to drop and ammonia levels to continue to rise... and that's just the tip of the iceburg! Also stunting will occur very quickly which will also lead to premature death. I don't think I need to go on. Ask him if he's like to live in a small closet where he also has to defecate and live in it until it kills him... not too nice but he might get the picture (although I won't hold my breath). Very few fish fit in a 10g and even fewer in a 5 gallon. He will obviously do what he wants which is quite sad for the poor fish.

I've cautioned him against just getting whatever will fit, but I think he's just gonna have to learn. I said he should just get two guppies or something small but I don't know if he's gonna listen or not :/

Guppies are still out of the picture. They need nice big schools. If he is so hell bent on torturing and killing fish than I'm very sorry for the fish.

Guppies are still out of the picture. They need nice big schools. If he is so hell bent on torturing and killing fish than I'm very sorry for the fish.

He's not like that! He doesn't want to torture them!!! He just needs to understand that you can't have any fish that will fit. And I've kept 2 guppies at a time before and they were just fine. He's just learning and it's not like he is just ignoring all warnings and doesn't care about the fish, he just needs to understand that he can't have any fish that will fit.

Here's a pic of that yellow fish he was talking about. What kind is it?

image-803170115.jpg

Convince him to go out do some research. Show him he can't do that. Oh god don't let him put that into a 5 gallon. They need at least 55 gallons.

Convince him to go out do some research. Show him he can't do that. Oh god don't let him put that into a 5 gallon. They need at least 55 gallons.

Yah I figured that about the yellow fish. He already decided not to get it anyway. He said he's gonna get 2 the size of his small comets and a few neon tetras, but I'm gonna make sure at least he understands that that won't be any good.

All is good. He decided to keep the comets until they get too big and then will get rid of them. He said he'll get get a 20 gallon or something.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Guppies are not schooling or shoaling fish and can be kept in any number from 1 on up.

And honestly keeping the comets is not good... try to understand I'm not picking on him or you here but comets, if they are comets and not just common goldfish, need really large tanks and he needs to understand they are going to suffer due to ammonia levels, waste, and a ph drop, not to mention stunting. A 20g wouldn't be sufficient either. Maybe a 55 would do good for awhile but if fed properly and in a proper size tank they will grow very quickly!

And honestly keeping the comets is not good... try to understand I'm not picking on him or you here but comets, if they are comets and not just common goldfish, need really large tanks and he needs to understand they are going to suffer due to ammonia levels, waste, and a ph drop, not to mention stunting. A 20g wouldn't be sufficient either. Maybe a 55 would do good for awhile but if fed properly and in a proper size tank they will grow very quickly!

He's gonna get rid of them in a little bit

I have been told my whole life guppies need schools, wow never knew they didn't need em. Also he won't have to get rid of them when they get big, they'll be dead soon enough. They won't last long than maybe a month or two, they won't have time to get to the size he's thinking of.

I have been told my whole life guppies need schools, wow never knew they didn't need em. Also he won't have to get rid of them when they get big, they'll be dead soon enough. They won't last long than maybe a month or two, they won't have time to get to the size he's thinking of.

I agree. We won 5 years ago and all died in a 10 gallon in a week or so. That aas before I understood cycling or anything.

I only have three guppies and they are fine.

I agree. We won 5 years ago and all died in a 10 gallon in a week or so. That aas before I understood cycling or anything.

Yah, I hate those games that use the poor fish as prizes.

Yah, I hate those games that use the poor fish as prizes.

Me too. They usually include goldfish which is one of the most abused fish in the hobby. Usually in a bowl won by someone who knows nothing about fish lol

I did for a month have 3 guppies and 1 endler in 2.5 gal til I ot my bigger tanks and learned more ... Probably why they would fight

Me too. They usually include goldfish which is one of the most abused fish in the hobby. Usually in a bowl won by someone who knows nothing about fish lol

Yup, those $.15 comet goldfish usually

Back
Top Bottom