My Old Lighting Hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I changed to my new satellite lighting hood system I accidently dropped my old lighting hood into the water and it was partially submerged for like 2 seconds before I pulled the plug and removed the light from the water. I removed the bulbs and try to wipe away all the water I could. I let the fixture dry out for about a week and was just wondering if I should still try using it. And if I should would should I use to support it so it doesn't fall into the tank again. Currently I'm not using a top for the tank and my old fixture is only 18 inches long.

A sturdy wire frame would work, but you probably should go with a strip of glass, to put something between the water and the light itself.

I have had a few flourescent fixtures fall into tanks. The light doesn't go out and the fish suffer no harm. The fixtures are still usable.

I've only had trouble with saltwater... Usually if the fixture dries out then it's okay... As long as you don't turn it on while wet... That will short circuit, and could give you a nasty shock or at least pop your circuit breaker. Saltwater on the other hand leaves salt residue, and also corrodes components quickly.

Glass hoods are pretty cheap. I got one for my 20 gal long it was only $10. I later found some on the internet for $7. They come with a plastic back so u can cut out for filters and heaters etc

Back
Top Bottom