My Overhead Sump / Pothos Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Upstate TBarbs

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Marineland 550 powerhead pumping up about 24" through 1/2" reinforced vinyl hose. The hose is connected to a homemade inflow bulkhead created from parts in the Lowes plumbing section. The bulkhead is located near the top of a 24" plastic windowbox planter, the kind with no drainholes in the bottom. Inside the planter the water flows through an AquaClear 70 sponge that I just pulled from my filter, preserving the bacteria colony. I then have about 5 pounds of lava rock that I got from the grill section of Lowes. I put some golden pothos plants in among the lava rock. Then there is another AquaClear 70 sponge that the water flows through before leafing the filter. The sponges keep the lava rock and the roots in place so they do not clog the drains. The outflow bulkhead is located near the bottom of the planter, and is made from 3/4" fittings from Lowes. A 3/4" regular vinyl hose is running from the bulkhead down back into the aquarium.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 95
Yup, it has a guard on it.

I was thinking of running it near the top and using it as a surface skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom