My platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evilclown312

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so i got it like 2 days ago and it swam around my tank fine even this morning now it is jsut hiding out under this fake log i got what could cause this ?

What are your water parameters and how long has your tank been set up? Do his gills move rapidly or does he show any other signs of abnormality? He might just be checking out the new log. Watch him to see what he does over the next little while. Oh and do you have any other fish in the tank with him?

If you have other fish in your tank he may just be a little bit shy or just wanting to check out his new hangout, but I would still watch him carefully. Also check to see if his breathing is labored and gills are flapping rapidly or if his eyes are normal and not protruding from his head. Test your Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates and post them here as well and that will help the more experienced aquarists.

I would also suggest maybe getting some more platys if you don't have any right now (after you are sure he's ok health wise), and that may make him feel more secure.

I wouldn't take it lightly though. Not to worry you because it's unlikely, but my new swordtail I've had for three days was a little bit of a hider, and just a few hours ago his eyes swelled up, he bobbed along the tank, swam around spastically and then dramatically fell to the bottom and died. Slightly traumatizing.

Back
Top Bottom