my platy's always act like they are hungry, they even attack my fingers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc4d

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am wondering if I am feeding my platy's (4) and the rest enough. the platy's always act like they are hungry, they even nibble my fingers when I place the tube in water to do an ammonia check. I feed them every other day with thawed frozen shrimp and sometimes blood worms. I have 4 platy's, 3 tetra's and 4 cory cats. I use about 1/2 of the brick of frozen shrimp and a slice of the blood worms.

Some fish like to beg, livebearers seem especially fond of this. My mollies like to nibble my fingers when my hands are in the tank. Overfeeding is ultimately worse for your fish than under feeding, so long as all the fish are getting a fair share some feed less aggressively than others. Keep an eye on your fish, make sure all the platys are eating, and try to get a look at their bellies. If their stomach area looks too flat or even sunken then increase the amount of food a little there should still be none left a few minutes after feeding. You could also try a little more variety, give them flakes or pellets some days so they get some vegetable protein in the mix.

Every other day will not starve them, but I choose to feed my fish daily, same as all my pets. You may find they seem more satisfied if you bump it up to a daily or almost daily feeding. That being said, they'll still beg. They have nothing better to do. ;)

Platties are omnivores, so with their current diet they are not getting proper nutrition. They must have vegetable matter in their diet. You can offer this in the form of frozen emerald entree, veggie flakes, veggie/algae wafers, and/or blanched veggies like shelled peas and zucchini. I would recommend you feed a high quality flake or pellet as staple, with 1-2 feedings per week of frozen protein, and atleast 1 feeding per week of veggie matter. Same for all livebearers. :)

Yep, our plattys are always coming over when you get near the tank, and gently nip at you when you need to put your hand in.

Ours like a mix of tank algae, flake food, algae wafers and tubifex. Occasionally they'll get some shrimp-paste stuff, but they do pretty well without this regularly. Feed them once every two days or so. They're multiplying, so much be doing something right! :)

Fish are greedy little pigs, livebearers especially ;)

My guppies are always trying to munch on my arm or the siphon when I'm doing any work on the tank and they get frozen foods daily. As long as they still look active and their bellies look the right shape, just laugh at it and move on.

Back
Top Bottom