My power outage story (get realy its long)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettacove

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my day started off like usual, got up at 1 (lol), fed fishies (bettas and oscars), Simon (the oscar) tryied to bite my hand off (he doesn't like it when i sleep in), and put a few pairs of bettas in the spawning tank.

At about 4:15 the power goes out. I was just about to go on the internet to, so naturally i was like @%!##^! I go down to the fishroom and its pitch balck. The pairs couldn't spawn cus they couldn't see so I put a flashlight shining on them, which helped a little. My fishroom is in the basement so its pretty cold, like 68-70 degrees. My tanks were doing ok, still dropping in temp but slowly. But I had a bunch of jars that were being heated by a heat lamp, and they were dropping fast. I couldn't put them upstairs cus it was way to hot, up to 90degrees, and they couldn't stay down cus it was too cold. So I decided to jam them in any tanks that I could.

So i'am trying to rearange tanks, did i mention it was pitch black? I'am holding a flashlight in my teeth, spilling water everywere, trying to get this done as fast as i could. Finally I get them all in tanks. But I had to put a few in with simon. He had a great time trying to scare the pants of the bettas. This one male figured out that simon couldn't get him so he started flaring at him lol, it was funny! Simon didn't know what to think!

Couple hours later the temp in the tanks dropped to 72-4. The pairs in the spawnign tanks wern't intrested in breeding so they just chilled out together. One pair even slept beside each other under the nest, it was so cute!!

Anyways the power came on today around 3. So I got everyone back to where they were. Few of my breeders spawned, the other pair is just TSTB (To Stupid To Breed, lol). I really hope the power doesn't go out again cus the babies will die if the temp drops....

Anyone else have a story to tell??

ashley

*giggles*

I wish someone had taken pics of that sweets.

My story is no where near as exciting. I will mention, however, I was IN a lfs standing on line when everything went down. Everyone else left; I, however, asked if I could pay in cash and they whipped out the battery operated calculator LOL There I was, standing in the dark, paying for fish supplies. What I do for my fishies *grin*

Yup, a story, but not a very happy one from me...

I lost 2-3 fish during the power outage. Nothing I could do to keep the water temp down without the fan and sufficient (filtered water) ice. Lost at least one neon, and 1 bushy-nose pleco ($11).

Also, I think that the temp change might have triggered a nasty case of ich in my tank. All my fish have it now. I'm SOOOOO mad! Treating them at the moment, and keeping the fingers crossed. (Now my other 2 bushy noses have also died!)

But I did have friends over that night who "ooh"-ed and "aaw"-ed at how luminescent my neon blue gourami and neons are even when it's pitch black :wink:

well that didn't work. sorry everybody. my ideas for this problem, is get a battery powered air pump, will keep oxygen in your water, also i used a battery powered fan from the dollar store. aim it down a pipe and well go crazy, i have some flexible tubing attached to back of the hood and well when the power goes the batteries start working.

Back
Top Bottom