My Red Clawed Crabs are in an abusive relationship.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fiddy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, this is actually my first post. I have 2 Red Clawed Crabs (male & female) in a 45 gal tank with other misc fish. My problem is that the male seems to have an extreme hatred for his "mate." They have been fine for months, but recently I started noticing the females limbs missing. First she was missing a leg, and I thought nothing of it. A few days later she only had 3 legs left! She has since grown the missing legs back, but now the little bastard male pulled off both her claws within the past few days. I honestly have no idea how she is going to eat now. I haven't actually seen them fight, but he is the only thing in that tank that could have done that to her. I just wanted to know if this is normal for him to be a jerk like that, or do I have to hire a Crayfish to rough him up a little bit? Btw, I am caring for them properly with access to land, food, water quality, etc. I am so close to giving my cat a nice snack.

I was thinking a divider or separate tank, at least for a little while. Maybe he will calm down if he is taken out of his territory. Or you could try rearranging the tank.

Welcome to AA!

Some crabs are just nasty. I've kept many fiddlers, and some are as peaceful as can be, and some attack and kill eachother. I've come to the conclusion that one of my three females that I've had for a while is a man killer, since every male I add to the tank dies within a couple months or so. I've never had issues with female aggression before..only male..so you just never know with crabs. They can be..well..quite crabby.

Your red claws are a brackish species. They are wild caught from brackish swamps. They will last for a while in freshwater with land access, but they can't live long term that way. I would set up a small brackish tank for them, and maybe trade your nasty little bugger in for another one, unless you want to keep him by himself. :)

Back
Top Bottom