Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
My SA puffer died... now what?

I was in the kitchen just now and I was looking at my 29gal and the thought "wouldn't that be weird if the puffer was dead" crossed my mind... well, oddly enough... he had died.

So now I have an empty 29gal and Im not sure what to do with it. As much as I loved my puffers, I don't think I want to go that route again. There was just so much space and no fish.

I was curious about cichlids... I think they are neat fish but they are a type of fish that I never learned anything about. All I know is they tear up plants, are aggressive and... yah.

What kind of cichlids would you keep in a 29gal?

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd get some dwarf cichlids. Here are some you might want to look into....Agassizi's dwarf cichlid, Cockatoo cichlid,Macmaster's dwarf, Panda dwarf cichlid,Ram cichlid, &
Kribensis

Old 10-04-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear about your little puffer. Not all cichlids are aggressive and they don't all tear up the substrate. http://www.mongabay.com/fish/cichlids.htm You have lots of reading ahead of you. The conditions of your tap water will help determine which cichlids are best for you.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:28 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I agree with stocking the tank with the dwarf cichlids. I happen to love the GBR's (since I have some myself). There is a nice profile of them in the Profiles Forum.

I also love the njisseni's...great looking cichlid IMO.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Pufferpunk
Why do you think they all died? Were you trimming their teeth? What were you feeding them?

Pufferpunk's Tanks
https://wetwebfotos.com/Home?actionRe...ew&userID=1918
Pufferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
the first one died of what I think was an internal parasite a few months back

Im not sure why this one died- i fed him blood worms and shrimps and his teeth weren't needing to be trimmed

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 03:00 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Pufferpunk
Sorry for your loss.

Pufferpunk's Tanks
https://wetwebfotos.com/Home?actionRe...ew&userID=1918
Pufferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:23 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

If you want to consider Africans you could keep a pair of N. brichardi or N. pulcher, and they will spawn for you just like convicts. Come to that, a pair of convicts would work in there, lol. You could also get some juvenile A. calvus and keep a pair of them in there, since the juvies could live in the 29 for a good long while before you'd get a pair - waiting for calvus to grow is like watching paint dry. Literally.

Otherwise, a pair of kribensis or that type of W. African riverine cichlid, and the new world dwarfs mentioned above. Also, keyholes would work in there as well.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
I'm sorry your puffer died lyquidphyre. I lost a South American puffer recently too. I don't know if it was from the stress of trimming its teeth or something else.

You could keep some dwarf cichlids together with a SA puffer. I kept one in a 30 gallon tank with some other fish including angelfish, tetras, cories, otos and a bristlenose pleco. The first day I put the puffer in the tank it nipped at the angelfish and vice versa but after that they got along just fine. Among some of the dwarf cichlids you could consider are the dwarf flag cichlid (aka L. curviceps). These are beautiful little fish that remind me of small discus when they reach adulthood.

Incidentally, these were all kept in a planted tank without the plants being damaged by the fish. Not all cichlids will harm plants.

Tags
die, died, puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com