my sand is grey, help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Naws

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought some pool filter sand for my new aquarium today, the problem is that it looks nice and white when its dry but when i rinsed it it turned gray

is it going to look like its original colour when I fill the tank with water or will it stay like this? I want it to look nice and white like in all the pictures i see

I used pool filter sand and it didn't change color... What color is the bucket that you are using to rinse it out in?

Check it with your lighting before throwing it away. Put some in the tank with a little water over it; you don't have to fill the whole thing to see. A good bulb can make a huge difference. If you still don't like the color when it is in water and under the light, you may have to look for a different type of sand. For what it's worth, I use inexpensive play sand from Home Depot, which looks beige/yellow in the bag but is bright white under my lights. It is very fine, though, so requires a lot of washing.

I had to re-buy sand once. I bought what looked like a nice blackish color in the bag, but in the water and under my lights it looked like rust.

Rocks & sand often look different in water compared to dry ... I had some river rocks that are dull gray dry, but turned into nice greens & browns when wet .... so it works both way.

Back
Top Bottom