Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My setup!

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum! I'm from Cape Town in SA. This is my setup: I've got an 25g tank with 22 fish. I've got 12 Neon tetras. 4 X-ray tetras. 3 Female Platy's (1 adult, 2 still small), 2 Peppered Cory's and a Dwarf Gourami. Setup is running good. I was wandering what could be an nice addition to my tank and really make it look good? I was thinking of an small non-aggresive eel-like fish or something like that? I know my tank looks pretty stocked, but I've got an filter rated for 50g and acording to AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor my tank is only 60% stocked. Defenitly looking to get more plants! Any suggestions for nice looking fish and easy growing plants? Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130806-00704.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	190666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130728-00592.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	190667  

Name:	IMG-20130804-00683.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	190668   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130806-00699.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	190669  

Old 08-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #2

I believe that the only eel like fish that would be ok in a 29 gallon would be khuli loaches or a peacock eel, however the loaches must be kept in groups (don't remember off the top of my head if its 3 or 5 per group) and the eel will probably overstock your tank.

I could be wrong but even with a filter rated for a 50 gallon the tank just seems like it will get real crowded here as your fish grow in size over the next few months.

However if I'm wrong or you decide to go with the peacock eel anyway, BEFORE you bring the eel home, buy a glass top (the ones with the plastic that you cut away on the back) and make sure that there are no holes, at all on the top of your tank. Speaking from experience, they only need about an inch to escape the tank and that is one of the worst ways to find a dead fish. If you can, i wouldn't even use a HOB filter with an eel, to much risk there.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can do a small type eel and I would suggest 2-3 more corys. You may also want to consider some type of loach as there are a ton of color varieties. As for plants, I'd go with hornwart. Attach it to the rock formations and it will grow to the surface.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleinVis View Post
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum! I'm from Cape Town in SA. This is my setup: I've got an 25g tank with 22 fish. I've got 12 Neon tetras. 4 X-ray tetras. 3 Female Platy's (1 adult, 2 still small), 2 Peppered Cory's and a Dwarf Gourami. Setup is running good. I was wandering what could be an nice addition to my tank and really make it look good? I was thinking of an small non-aggresive eel-like fish or something like that? I know my tank looks pretty stocked, but I've got an filter rated for 50g and acording to AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor my tank is only 60% stocked. Defenitly looking to get more plants! Any suggestions for nice looking fish and easy growing plants? Thanks in advance!
Anacharis are real easy
Old 08-07-2013, 01:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleinVis View Post
According to Aqadvisor you're 114% sorry.

I wouldn't recommend adding anymore and no over filtration doesn't really allow you to overstock.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Id keep your stock as is but I would up the cories to 5. Your tank is only a 25g. If you take the main rule of inch per fish for 1 gallon your stocked. When you do that rule you have to account for adult size of each fish. You habe choosen small fish so just get 3 more cories and thats all
Old 08-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #7

Thanks for all the reply's and suggestions! I've had a hard time with cory's. I had quite a fewe and useally they don't last 2 weeks, but some of them, like the 2 I have at the moment, are looking real healthy, so I think it is the stock from the local petshop that aint that great. Thank you again for al the reply's.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #8

Jwh0818 awh sorry I meant my filtration capasity, I didn't even look at my stocking level. Thanks for the heads up. Here is my setup on Aqadvisor: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

So I think the next step is just to get more plants!
Thanks again!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nice tank! Its nice to see a tank that isn't over stocked giving the fish plenty of pace to swim.

For eel like fish kuhli loach or dojo loach
Old 08-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
Very nice tank! Its nice to see a tank that isn't over stocked giving the fish plenty of pace to swim.

For eel like fish kuhli loach or dojo loach
Are loaches peaceful or aggressive? Have heard both answers
Old 08-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninijiko2225 View Post

Are loaches peaceful or aggressive? Have heard both answers
depends which kind. some, like the clown loach, are semi aggressive while others, like the kuhlii loach, wont harm anything
Old 08-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #12

Okay! So my computer has been down, and I had to do everything on my phone which was an real hassle! Thanks again for all the reply's. I just want to get my details 100% correct, I'm not disagreeing with anybody. Everyone has been very helpful! This is the correct aqadvisor info:

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

It shows that my stocking level is 65% and filtration capacity 147%>
If you note, 2 of my Platy's are set on 2cm, as they are still juvenile. I know you should take the grownup size in consideration. That is just what my tank is like at the moment. As for the future, it will look something like this:

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Which shows that the stocking level is still only 70%.
If I take inch per gallon in consideration it adds up to 30 inch which is then again overstocked! So I don't really know where to take it from here? I want to take the Cory count up to 5, but I haven't had the best of luck with Cory's. Would love the site of an Kuhli loach, but it is said that they don't do too great alone. In the mean while I've added some fake plant to accommodate my Dwarf Gourami, will definitely be getting real plants in the future. Thanks again for all the help and advise!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #13

Pics of my fake plants. Wil be replacing them with real one's as soon as possible and will defnitly add as many as possible!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-20130811-00734.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	191563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130811-00736.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	191564  

Name:	IMG-20130811-00735.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	191565   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130811-00738.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	191566  

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« acrylic | Tanks ? »