My soon to be retro tank stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
After much deliberation I have decided not to sell my acrylic tank to buy a "better" one but to make a stand for it. And im stocking it with puffers

I am so excited. I have done a lot of research on how to build a sturdy stand and my dad is going to help me with it as well.
This is what I have in mind when it comes to the outer aspect of it-

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3161

What do ya'll think? If you have any pointers for me, I would appreciate them as well =o)

Very nice - the tile will make it look really classy.

I see in your diagram (nice CAD drawing, btw) that the front doors are rather small. Consider attaching small false door fronts onto big doors that will allow access to the entire area under the stand. I love my stand because of this feature - I can pull out the cannister filter easily and I can even fit a hospital tank down there!

Other suggestions based on my own carpentry experience:

Use good quality 3/4 inch plywood - will not warp, sag, or twist. Stay away from particle board!!!

Fasten with woodscrews and wood glue. If possible, use glued dowel pegs or biscuits to join also.

Euro-style concealed hinges are not visible from the outside and allow the doors to open a full 180o. You can find them at Lowes, Home Depot, or here: http://www.rockler.com/faq/choosing_concealed_hinge.cfm?

Im not sure how big I wanted to make the doors, but that is definatly something I will look into (and probably do).

I called Home Deopt and the guy I talked to said that white wood would be the best to build an aquarium. Is that right?

Im thinking about putting tiny black and white tiles under the bottom crown molding.. but ill end up doing that at the end to see if it would look good.

Thanks for the comments and suggestion =o)

White wood??? :?

Maybe he meant white oak? :roll: :D
You can't go wrong if you use a furniture grade 3/4 inch plywood - not the exterior grade stuff with the knots and oval patches.
The outer veneer is a matter of choice. White oak, red oak, and birch are expensive but look really nice stained. If you're going to paint it, pine will be lots cheaper.

Just stay away from the white laminated particleboard that they sell. It's great for closets and shelving, but if it gets wet, it swells and sags and then, watch out! 8O

hmm he said white wood. I want the skeleton to be strong and sturdy but Im going to skirt it with thin plywood and paint it black.

Now I am confused as to what I thought I need to get for the skeleton.

Ooooh OK! Now I get it. *smacks myself in the head*

The Home Depot guy must have meant WHITE PINE 2 x 4's to make a sturdy skeleton or frame. Then you cover the thing up with thin (1/2 inch or less) plywood just so it looks nice. Ok, that makes sense. Sorry if I confused you.

See, my stand does not have a 2 x 4 skeleton. Instead, it's made of 3/4 inch plywood reinforced with wide plywood strips along every inside corner. I was originally going to build my own stand and integrate it into a custom-designed wall unit. Instead, I wound up buying it with the tank in order to get a free 5 year extended warranty on the tank from Oceanic.

Hmm, if you are a carver white wood usually mean birch, and ash and alder types of hardwood. Sometimes lodgepole pine is included.

Usually you don't have common pines referred as whitewood

I think white pine is probably it, and would be a good choice. You are going to be so proud of yourself when you are done!

Those both sound cool. I decided to go with dwarf puffers since they are freshwater and neither GSP or figure8's are. I love them. They are great and so full of personality. The only thing is that I wish they were bigger, which the GSP and F8s are... Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom