My tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Besty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I have a 55 gallon tank with 3 clown loaches 2 dwarf gouramis a red tailed shark 3 neons 2 shrimps and a pleco.

There are a few decorations I'm concerned about I have a decorative paving slab which looks fantastic a ceramic pot with a air stone in it that's produce loads of bubbles
I'm a little worried cause the ph is high but all the fish seem healthy active and full of colour.
Am I just worrying about nothing or do I need to sort it.

Thanks Besty

I have guppys, gouramis, otos, bn plecos and shrimp in water that has a ph of 8. They all are very happy

That's about an 8 aswell.

Think I might be worrying over nothing

8.5 is a little high for some of your fish. Try to get a good reading out of your tap, there might be something in your tank.increasing the ph

Usually there is nothing to worry about as long as your pH remains stable. Almost all aquarium fish nowadays will acclimate to a higher pH than they are most suited for. For example I keep Lyretail killifish which are suggested at 6.5 pH when my tap water is a little over 8.0 and they are very active and happy.

Thanks for the advice. Think ill just monitor it I've had no deaths and everything seems lively if anything changes ill have to take stuff out the tank and try and lower it

Well your water shouldn't be a problem, but your stocking is. I have learned the hard way over the years, clown loaches should be in groups of 5 (and even more is better) and they grow over a foot long. 55g is not suitable for 3 clown loaches. Having shrimp with clown loaches and a redtail is a bad idea, the shrimp will become a meal at some point. I would suggest smaller loaches or cory cats if you want shrimp, if you aren't worried about the shrimp being eaten then I would suggest YoYo loaches or stratia botia for your 55g setup.

Back
Top Bottom