Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2010, 04:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

My Tank Cycled - A Question

My 40 gallon tank cycled finally (it took exactly 4 weeks) and I'm wondering if I should store the filter material from my 10 gallon QT/Emergency Tank in the 40 gallon tank to ensure it keeps getting loaded up with good bacteria (the 10 gallon tank had cycled, too). I could put the sponge and the pellets from my filter in a stocking or netting and just store it in the big tank. What about the charcoal? Would I need to keep that immersed, or is it okay to let the charcoal dry out as long as you have the filter/pellets in the water.

I hope this question makes sense.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is there any way you can stuff the filter media from the 10 into the filter on the 40, and just keep it there until you need to use it?

I believe the part that has the most bacteria on it is the floss/fiber of the media.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpate View Post
Is there any way you can stuff the filter media from the 10 into the filter on the 40, and just keep it there until you need to use it?

I believe the part that has the most bacteria on it is the floss/fiber of the media.
Well, I already have the floss/fiber from another filter on top of the main filter, and it wouldn't take another one. I have a Marineland tank with built in filtration, and the filtration system constantly overflows over the back of the tank.

I was thinking of putting the sponge and the pellets from my Aqua Clear into a beta fish cup and just submerging it into the tank. What do you think?
Old 04-21-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am not sure aboout just sticking it in the tank, because of the need for oxygen and water flow, if that makes sense.
Your filter overflows? Hmm, I have all Marineland filters (except one) and I have never had that problem, and most are stuffed LOL.
If you need the QT tank in the future, you could just cut off a piece of the existing media being used, and stick it in the filter for the QT.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I am not sure aboout just sticking it in the tank, because of the need for oxygen and water flow, if that makes sense.
Yes, it does make sense. I was thinking that perhaps I could store the filter media in a betta cup with a lid, with lots of aeration holes. Maybe that's not such a good idea?

Quote:
Your filter overflows? Hmm, I have all Marineland filters (except one) and I have never had that problem, and most are stuffed LOL.
Ugh, it TOTALLY overflows in the back, where the lid meets the back of the filter stream area. It's a built in filter, in a hood. Like, I can't just open the lid to feed the fish. I have to lift the lid off the tank, straight up, or else water starts poring down the back of the tank. It's tripped my breaker three times and made a horrible mess each time. I have to be hyper-vigilant about it. I really love the tank, though. It's just this one thing that I have a problem with.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

So is it overflowing or just condensation?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

No, it's a bonafide overflow. It somehow backs up along the crease where the lid rests in when it's open, and streams down the back of the tank. It was enough of an overflow to trip my breakers, as the water of course ran down the cords (and, yes, I definitely do ensure there is a drip curve on all my cords). It was just a huge mess. TWICE! Now every time I open the lid, I have to check the back of the tank to make sure it's not leaking. I'd say 7 times out of 10, it IS leaking.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, that's no good! I get a water build-up in the lid and around the edges inside where the lid sits, and I always have to "drain" the lid when I am doing a pwc, but it doesn't sound as bad as yours!

Tags
cycle, cycled, led, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com