my tank in progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
This will be a thread that I will update as some what of a blog for me to post information about what I am doing including pictures of the prosses.

Equipment:

75gallon tank.

Lighting - Odyssey 48inch T5HO fixture with 4x 54watt 6700k bulbs this will allow me to reach 2.88wpg

Filter - Fluval 405 (this will allow me to turn my water over 6.5x per hour)

Heater - Odyssey 200w heater x2 (using two for a more consistent heat distribution throughout my tank)

Substrate - Eco-complete black sand 60-80lbs (not sure how much yet)

Fish:
10x Cardinal tetras
10x Serpae tetras
8x German blue ram 4x pair
6x Julii Cory's

Plants:
Dwarf hair grass
Amazon sword plants
Java moss
Java fern
Hornworth

The tank will be a low tech planted tank at first will possibly upgrade to co2 down the line, we will see. I have a large driftwood centerpiece that will have my moss and fern growing on it. There will be flat rocks for my German blues to lay eggs on. My water will be at maximum of 6.5 ph soft water.

Give me your imput if you have any tips or suggestions please post. I'll be updating the thread as I buy thing or get them set up. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

CleverBs said:
This will be a thread that I will update as some what of a blog for me to post information about what I am doing including pictures of the prosses.

Equipment:

75gallon tank.

Lighting - Odyssey 48inch T5HO fixture with 4x 54watt 6700k bulbs this will allow me to reach 2.88wpg

Filter - Fluval 405 (this will allow me to turn my water over 6.5x per hour)

Heater - Odyssey 200w heater x2 (using two for a more consistent heat distribution throughout my tank)

Substrate - Eco-complete black sand 60-80lbs (not sure how much yet)

Fish:
10x Cardinal tetras
10x Serpae tetras
6x German blue ram 3x pair
5x Zebra loaches
1x Gold Nugget or marbled sail fin pleco. (Haven't decided leaning towards the gold nuggets)

Plants:
Dwarf hair grass
Amazon sword plants
Java moss
Java fern
Hornworth

The tank will be a low tech planted tank at first will possibly upgrade to co2 down the line, we will see. I have a large driftwood centerpiece that will have my moss and fern growing on it. There will be flat rocks for my German blues to lay eggs on. My water will be at maximum of 6.5 ph soft water.

Give me your imput if you have any tips or suggestions please post. I'll be updating the thread as I buy thing or get them set up. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Can you post some pictures?

Ill post pictures soon, right now im waiting on my Tank and Stand that I ordered yesturday, when they get in ill post a picture as I add things to the tank.

Ordered Light,Filter, made some changes however im getting a 48 INCH 3x54watt BLACK SOLAR T5HO with 1x Plant Grow Bulb 1x White 65k 1x White 10k. I also bought a Fluval heater today instead of the POS odyssey equipment that was said to be good but found out after further review they are not...
My 75 Gallon and heater I got today, waiting for stand then I will put my rocks, driftwood (After a week need to to soak one more week) and my substrate.
img_1526585_0_cead162c1d55d27ade75c1039a31043f.jpg

Pictures of my current 10 gallon (making a huge upgrade)
img_1526585_1_8a5922f456653404473eef582fb1d7e2.jpg

img_1526585_2_94631ba0683ab50e4ff6bfe103d9ae2a.jpg

img_1526585_3_1a45ec4963aba9d434f6ff31938d3384.jpg

My concern is all those pairs of rams. Even though 75 gallons is big I don't think that's enough floor space for all four pairs. Maybe just two instead? JMO.

My concern is all those pairs of rams. Even though 75 gallons is big I don't think that's enough floor space for all four pairs. Maybe just two instead? JMO.

ah sorry I left this out, I am getting 4 pair just for the start to get them to pair up, I assume they wont all pair up so I plan on keeping the best 2 pair and sell the other 4 GBR to my LFS. also questioning if i should get Cory's or Algea eaters to help with my algea if I have any

CleverBs said:
ah sorry I left this out, I am getting 4 pair just for the start to get them to pair up, I assume they wont all pair up so I plan on keeping the best 2 pair and sell the other 4 GBR to my LFS. also questioning if i should get Cory's or Algea eaters to help with my algea if I have any

Okay, sounds good. :)

Otos, Siamese algae eaters or a BN pleco are all good algae eaters. However it doesn't really solve the problem usually as it only adds to the bioload which means more food for the algae. You could try blackouts and keeping lights on less.

see im kinda thinking im just going to not buy any till i have a problem, to reduce the bio load. so ill just have my tetras and gbr for awhile and not try to fix a problem that hasnt happened yet and or create one by having to many fish.

Im thinking i may get a gold nugget pleco for my tank, good idea or bad idea?

what do people think about the
Hagen Nutrafin CO2 Natural Plant System

I am going to say that you could fit maybe 3 pairs of rams in your tank. I managed two pairs in a 46 gallon lightly planted tank. The only problem I had was no sight breakers in the aquascape so everyone one bickered at each other lol. I would go with a small school of otos instead of a pleco. I have noticed with both rams and kribensis, that a full grown pleco is much much harder to fight off. The pleco is armored and won't mind the minor nipping or bluffing the fish do. Oto's are ignored by my pair of kribs and don't eat fish eggs or fry which is why you can breed otos in a tank without removing the adults. You could do the pleco, but I wouln't if you plan on breeding the pairs of rams.

I am going to say that you could fit maybe 3 pairs of rams in your tank. I managed two pairs in a 46 gallon lightly planted tank. The only problem I had was no sight breakers in the aquascape so everyone one bickered at each other lol. I would go with a small school of otos instead of a pleco. I have noticed with both rams and kribensis, that a full grown pleco is much much harder to fight off. The pleco is armored and won't mind the minor nipping or bluffing the fish do. Oto's are ignored by my pair of kribs and don't eat fish eggs or fry which is why you can breed otos in a tank without removing the adults. You could do the pleco, but I wouln't if you plan on breeding the pairs of rams.

oh i didnt even think of the fact that the pleco would eat eggs...that i cant have. i think im going to start with 2 pairs and decide if theres room for a 3rd after they get astablished

I would get the 8 gbr's and see how much room and how the pairs set up territories. Adding a third pair later on may mess up the balance that the established pairs have. You may be lucky and have a male that pairs up with two females. My lfs had one do that and he raised two batches of fry at the same time. He never had a moment to catch his breath. Very amusing to watch. I just think having three pairs to start with would be better, definantly less stressful on the third pair(who would probably be terrorized by the other two trying to find a territory). It is your tank, so do what you want, I am just saying what I would do personally.

no you make a really good point i will deffently take that advice and stick with my 4 sets and see who pairs up and how they lay themselfs out and go from there.

Heres my tank as of today, my Light will be here on monday and my substrate should be here by the end of the week. also iv hooked up my Fluval 405 filter and my Fluval 300watt heater.

I got some cool (IMO) driftwood I brought back from Canada this year that I have cleaned, boilded, and soaked. the rocks are flagstone rocks.

Let me know what you think and your thoughts.

img_1538167_0_91db2889a904d7d7dfd7a6c3b2607dca.jpg

img_1538167_1_499fe068f31feacf5f458ecff360e93c.jpg

img_1538167_2_ee7bb184f207c608eb123fedb0f23719.jpg

Filled the tank today to get my cycle started, also got a lid, was planning on going lidless but then i desided to use RO water and well...I figured I dont want to have to replace it alot due to evaperation so I would just use lids. Im very happy with the color of my driftwood under water as well as the rocks, the water definitly magnifises them and my them stand out alot better.

img_1540028_0_3e46b5c5cf4028748f084668ecae3e4e.jpg

img_1540028_1_0351e36770241dca3e8003ded84ccdbe.jpg

Also got my filter going Fluval 405 - as of right now couldnt be happier with it. its Sooo quite, my filter on my 10Gallon makes moer noise.

img_1540028_2_25cb2a7adced2fb33aed8ad26f1d3869.jpg

Got my lights on it today and 9....I paid for 10...Serpae Tetras, Also added a few more pecies of my driftwood for now still deciding on what ones to keep, Im keeping the 2 for sure that were in there in the prior pictures but Im debating on what the 3rd one should be, i really like the shape of the one on the right but the one of the left is larger and a better color.

The light is a 3x54watt T5HO Solar fixture with 1x 5500k Plant-Grow bulb, 1x 6500k, 1x 10k Bulb, in picture all 3 are on.

img_1542684_0_205f2861a4319b88da55a8bc58e05cce.jpg

Got my lights on it today and 9....I paid for 10...Serpae Tetras, Also added a few more pecies of my driftwood for now still deciding on what ones to keep, Im keeping the 2 for sure that were in there in the prior pictures but Im debating on what the 3rd one should be, i really like the shape of the one on the right but the one of the left is larger and a better color.

The light is a 3x54watt T5HO Solar fixture with 1x 5500k Plant-Grow bulb, 1x 6500k, 1x 10k Bulb, in picture all 3 are on.

img_1542745_0_205f2861a4319b88da55a8bc58e05cce.jpg

I like the pieces of wood. Serpae tetras are also very nice. You should call and I ask for you money back for the missing tetra.....I would:)

I like the pieces of wood. Serpae tetras are also very nice. You should call and I ask for you money back for the missing tetra.....I would:)

im just going to go back and get the 10th i want 10 and i know he will give me another one so i have no worries. Thanks the wood took awhile for me to select the options for my tank I choose those 4 peices out of the like 15 peices i have from Canada.

Back
Top Bottom