My tank now...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

...joey...

Aquarium Advice Freak
image-2088582628.jpg

image-296547012.jpg

image-1242900019.jpg

image-1695827823.jpg

image-2932560922.jpg

Currently stocked with two discus two hujeta gar two African bush fish seven bleeding heart tetra two decorated squeeking catfish one blue cray one common pleco one Chinese algea eater two Bala shark two African glass catfish one zodiac loach and one clown loach :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to upset you, but I think you have some definite compatibility issues and possible overstocking.

What size tank do you have?

My tank is 300litre and just start with the cray with fish and its a potion for disaster but honestly it does work and has done for over a year now :) here's a latest pic...

image-658214770.jpg

After taking a second look at your stocking list though I'd say you are way overstocked. I'd definitely rehome the common plec. It's up to you, but I think once these fish get larger you will have a hard time keeping good water parameters and there will probably be aggression. I think some of them require different water temps. as well.

I've tried to rehome the plec he came with the tank and the seller said I had to take him I managed to get rid of one of the two he gave me but this one I can't. I know I might be living on a knife edge with this setup but for the time being its working and if things start to go wrong I've got many other options straight away. All the fish are happy and get along fine parameters are a bit high for ammonia but that's because I'm in the process of changing to RO water for the discus but as you can see they're happy and full of colour and eat out of my hand daily :)

image-2538531821.jpg

Ok sounds like you know what you are up against. Good luck to you. I didn't mean to be negative I just wasn't sure if you were aware. You do have a very nice looking tank though. I bet it will look even better when the plants grow a little more.

No worries thanks for putting your point in :) and yeah there's a slight problem with the plants growing I didn't go to live plants in this tank for almost a year because of the cray chewing them up but threw caution to the wind a couple of weeks ago and went all real plants the funny thing is he's left them alone but the hujeta garrs are chewing them up daily lol always the same story with aquariums it's just one thing after the other :)

I really like the way you did the pots and rocks, I've never seen a herb/strawberry pot used like that. Thing I might have to steal your idea! Also like the hifin rams, I have 2 gold hifin rams. I've heard they are not as hardy, hifins that is, due to breeding but mine have been healthy for over a year.

I don't have them anymore they were nice but I get bored really easy especially if everyone has them lol. That pot your on about did look really nice I put plants in each of the wholes and they all fanned out looked amazing but the plants were fake and I haven't yet found a live plant perfect for wedging in the wholes so you can't see them coming through il try and find a pic of what it looks like il post in two secs

rivercats said:
i really like the way you did the pots and rocks, i've never seen a herb/strawberry pot used like that. Thing i might have to steal your idea! Also like the hifin rams, i have 2 gold hifin rams. I've heard they are not as hardy, hifins that is, due to breeding but mine have been healthy for over a year.

image-1076453777.jpg

I would think some good size java ferns or good size anubia's would do that. There are some larger anubia species that might work. I had a holey rock that I used to put pieces of Bolbitus heudelotii (African fern) in the holes and it's growing really cool looking.

DoubleA said:
Nice checker pants :D lol Your discus are absolutely gorgeous! What is the fish in the picture with the blue cray?

Long fin common rams they're lovely but I got rid of them just because I got bored lol

Rivercats said:
I would think some good size java ferns or good size anubia's would do that. There are some larger anubia species that might work. I had a holey rock that I used to put pieces of Bolbitus heudelotii (African fern) in the holes and it's growing really cool looking.

Thank you I'm just jumping in shower then off to the fish shop so il pick them up and post after :)

I got Anubas and the other ones in the wholes I fergot the name but they work well I think I will upload a picture after all the crap settles :) let me know what you think!

It's a very nice looking tank. Being overstocked is one thing but that cray fish would make me nervous. I watched a cray fish kill my friends pleco. We were watching him and he was telling me how he was too slow to catch any of his fish and then it happened.

Laser said:
It's a very nice looking tank. Being overstocked is one thing but that cray fish would make me nervous. I watched a cray fish kill my friends pleco. We were watching him and he was telling me how he was too slow to catch any of his fish and then it happened.

It's taken me a year and half to find a stock list he can't get his hands on. And these guys all do stay well out if his reach but no matter what there's always a chance but for now he's fine. Don't get me wrong he can be terrible for eating fish but that's partly my fault for puting the wrong types of fish in.

Back
Top Bottom