My Tanks in big trouble!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjos11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a trigon 350litre tank that has been set up for about 10 weeks now. It has about 12 plants also that are doing well.
I have stocked it to contain:

5 Platies
4 Zebra Danios
3 Dwarf Grammies
40 Neons
10 Guppys
2 Algae eating fish(cant remember there name) about 6inchs long.At the end of there tale has two spikes :?
I got up today too find 2 Dwarf Grammies,1 guppy, 2neons DEAD! Also 1 Danio is swimming funny it looks like he may die.
One neons body was a white color in the centre before he died
A guy in my street came down (he knows more than me) and found fungus on a couple of the guppys. He gave me a solution to treat the fungus.
5ml per day it smells like teatree oil.
The reading are
ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 7.2
Nitrate 10-20
Temperature is 26 degrees.
The last fish I put in were 25 neons and 10 guppys.
Can you please help. Is my tank in trouble?
I cant think of anything else to tell you.

I would find out exactly what he has given you to treat the fish. Neons are very sensitive to a lot of meds. Also the addition of so many fish at one time can be causing an ammonia spike. How old is your test kit and is it the liquid one or test strips. That is a lot of fish to add in a short period of time IMO. I would do a water change asap. Do you have a tank that you can put the afflicted fish into? I would keep up the water changes and not treat the tank with medication that is unknown. I'd add some fresh carbon to your filter to remove the medications that are in the water for now. That alone may be killing off some of your fish. When you look at your other fish is there any signs of anything on them at all?

There are some good links at the top of the forum that will help in any diagnosis, several with pics. It may be a fungus, it might be stress from the addition of so many fish at once, it might just be water conditions caused by spikes in ammonia due to the addition of fish. I know your test is reading 0 ammonia, how often do you test? A spike could have occured and you not have known it depending on how often you test and water change. Good luck, I hope things improve soon.

It is a liquid test kit I think its Ok because I do have another tank 60L thaat Just finished its cycle a week ago.I was using this kit.
I was told that it wasn`t a lot of fish to add at once because it is a large tank and that the fish are small. Mind you saying this makes me think, Why have I lost these fish?
I have moved the Zebra Danio to the 60L tank but I don`t hold mush hope.

melafix. Yes this is what the guy said I cant get him at the moment. What is this?

Thankyou. The Danio is in my 60L tank he is trying his best to swim I feel sorry for him What should I do? :cry:

Hi guys I really need your help.
I am still losing fish another neon and a guppy are now fighting for life. The only thing that I notice is the neons colour,it begins to go white. They then struggle to swim around.
Whats going on? I dont want to lose the lot

Do a water change if you haven't, good water conditions are key to fighting off illness. For all the afflicted fish move them to the 60L tank. Melafix is fine for treating many illnesses, but not a terribly strong medication. I'd look into Maracyn or Maracyn II if I were you. No matter how large the tank, adding 35 fish at once is too many. Keep testing your parameters daily in the 60L which may have to be your QT tank. And don't give up, the first while with new tanks can be the hardest sometimes. But persistance can win out. I had a gourami with dropsy that was so ill I debated euthanizing her. I kept trying different treatments and found something that worked. She isn't out of the woods but is much better and looks like she may recover. Never give up and keep us posted please.

Hi To follow up I have carried out a 20 percent water change. Lost another guppy today. One platte has lost a lot of weight and he was lying on the bottom of the tank. I have moved him to the 60L tank. I have seen this before in previous platies but they died!
The Danio is still hanging on but still not himself.I tested the water again today before the change and ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, PH 7.2, Nitrate 10-20

Keep up the QT and water changes and it should turn around shortly. Sometimes fish are too sick right from the lfs to do anything about it.

Guys just to keep you up to date. I only lost another two fish, I have carried out water changes everyday around 15-20 percent. All my readings were fine Ammonia etc. Today everything seems fine fish all seem good :D
One of my platies had 12 babys :lol: I have them now in my smaller tank, though there are some in the main tank but I can`t seem to get them. :? FOOD?
Thanks for all your help.

Crush up your regular flake food to very very fine. The babies will eat it. Congratulations and glad to hear the fish are faring well. :)

Back
Top Bottom