My tap water :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chazeman2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my tap water after being dechlorinated and has sat for for over 24 hours. w t f

Attachments

• DSC_4043.jpg
    DSC_4043.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 100
have not added any fish and am in the beginnings of a fishless cycle.

here is the tank water after 5 or 6 days..(ammonia has been added for the cycle.) another w t f. nitrAte is not as dark as it appears in the photo but is still mid range.

Attachments

• DSC_4040.jpg
    DSC_4040.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 96
chazeman2 said:
here is the tank water after 5 or 6 days..(ammonia has been added for the cycle.) another w t f. nitrAte is not as dark as it appears in the photo but is still mid range.

Wow! And I thought mine was bad! I wish I had advice for ya! Let's hope once ur bb colony is built it will take care of it... Crazy!

Wow! And I thought mine was bad! I wish I had advice for ya! Let's hope once ur bb colony is built it will take care of it... Crazy!

i hope it does too. I was sooo excited for my first tank and now i'm feeling really discouraged.

chazeman2 said:
i hope it does too. I was sooo excited for my first tank and now i'm feeling really discouraged.
Don't get discouraged! I'm sure someone knows what's goin on and can shed some light on it, or someone has been thru it and knows how to fix it! This is a great place for advice :D

Well if ur tank is still cycling, it can take approx a month for the levels to become "normal". Be patient; thats what fishless cyclers have to do.

Well the ammonia's almost certainly from Chloramine in your tap ... Unless your going to commit to RO/DI for PWC's ... Can get pricey .. Your tap's the best bet.

I've read of similar issues from other members. What conditioner / dechlorinator are you using?

Yes, patience is the key. Don't add anymore ammonia at this time. Do you have access to some established filter media or gravel? Sometimes your LFS will hook you up.....just ask them. And whatever you do, don't start adding chemicals of any bacteria in a bottle stuff. This will only throw things off. You will get there! Don't give up! Be patient!

What about all the nitrites in the tap?!?!?! Will the bb clear that up once it's established??? That is A TON of Trites.... I'm pretty sure that's what the op is referring to.

What about all the nitrites in the tap?!?!?! Will the bb clear that up once it's established??? That is A TON of Trites.... I'm pretty sure that's what the op is referring to.

Yep ... That got my attention as well ....That's why I asked what conditioner is being used ... Seachem Prime'll neutralize it long enough for BB to consume it.

jcolon said:
Yep ... That got my attention as well ....That's why I asked what conditioner is being used ... Seachem Prime'll neutralize it long enough for BB to consume it.

Ohhh yea!! Good call :D

I've seen people suggest to call your water supplier if you are on a municipal system. Ask if they have been working on the system or if you should always expect your nitrites to be #ppm? If you're on a well you're going to have to smaller wwc and let the BB get rid of the ammonia and nitrites from the tap water as well as the fish

Also, double and triple check your are adding the correct amount of drops for each individual test. They are all not the same.

If your on public water, definitely contact your water supplier/municipality or check online for water reports. In the US, the max allowable nitrites is 1ppm & nitrates 10ppm. There is no criteria for ammonia especially because its usually used as a disinfectant (chloramine). You can also call the EPA's safe drinking water hotline for help (800-426-4791). If you have an infant or someone who is immune-compromised, they really should not be drinking this water based on your test results.

Prime will definitely help for water changes in the future as well as smaller, more frequent water changes vs one big water change. If your budget allows, you can invest in an undersink RO unit ($150-300) for water changes & add back minerals with a product such as Replenish or RO Right. Good luck!

trites are more what i'm concerned about. I have established gravel in a media bag in the tank and also had squeezed out some media in my tank water.i am using aqueon water conditioner. i know everyone raves about prime,but in all honesty i'm not too concerned about that.

That's not a healthy level of nitrites. I wouldn't even drink that.

Back
Top Bottom