My tap water is extremely high pH (10.2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endymion

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought my first aquarium, a 75 gallon, and I'm still researching and buying everything I need.

Today I tested the tap water and pH is off the charts using the liquid high range ph test. I then used an electric meter and it read 10.2. I thought surely this must be some mistake and I looked up the water quality report they and tested a high of 10.4

For anybody interested the water parameters are on page 17 https://www.amwater.com/MOAW/resources/pdf/ccr/StLouisRegion_2021.pdf

I planned on a planted aquarium with fluval stratum and drfitwood. Will the pH drop on it's own enough for me to have a normal community tank?

Doing some research it also looks like it would make a good Lake Tanganyika tank?

Thank you for any suggestions and advice!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I can't read the water report, it says forbidden :)

A pH of 10.2 is higher than Lake Tanganyika and is pretty close to household bleach. I doubt you will be able to lower the pH without using a reverse osmosis unit, rain water, distilled water or bottled water.

If you live in a warm climate you can make a solar still out of a plastic storage container and a bucket. That would give you pure water with 0GH, 0KH and a pH of 7.0. You could then use this water to mix with some tap water to get a more acceptable water chemistry. If you want more info on the solar still let me know and I will post the instructions here. It's really simple and just involves a bucket in a plastic storage container with some water, and left out in the sun.

A reverse osmosis does a similar thing but you waste a lot of water to get pure water. The best ratios are 1:1 with 1 litre of waste water for 1 litre of pure water. Most cheaper units are 2:1 or 3:1 and produce 2, 3 or even more litres of waste water for every 1 litre of pure water. You would use the pure water to mix with the tap water to get the desired pH, GH and KH.

Back
Top Bottom