My thermometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
R

Rudy_627

ok i have one of the thermometers that go on the outside of the tank (which i just found out yesterday) is that bad i f i have it on the inside cause it is sticking and my fish are as happy as can be

The only problem with external thermometers is that they may be a couple of degrees away from the actual tank temp. Putting it inside isn't a bad idea as long as it was well rinsed and won't break under water pressure.

The stick on thermometers are not as accurate as they claim to be. You should get one that is digital for the most accurate results. I just picked up two more from PetsMart and they were $6.99. If you can't find a digital, get one that suction cups itself to the side of the tank. A last resort would be the stick on kind.

no its one thats like a sticker you know?
and right now my water is at 78 degrees whis is good for my mollies

hopefully i can get them to breed anyone have any tips?

Rudy_627 said:
hopefully i can get them to breed anyone have any tips?

Provided you have the right sexes, all you need to do is wait. Youll be posting here soon about what to do with all the molly fry. :lol:

Ive got one of those little stickers.. My heater is cranked up to its max.. and its turned off... yet my sticker thermometer says its only 84..X.x..
My mollies kinda got it on, on their own. o.o;

Advice on breeding mollies.....hmm.....have males and females in the tank. :D That's really about it. We had 4 mollies (2 male and 2 female) that were popping out babies like crazy. Eventually we gave away the mollies beacuse we had way to many babies. They will reproduce on their own. Be sure to have a breeder net or QT tank on standby. Once they start, they won't stop.

well i know that i have the right sexes and they were both in the same tank at walmart so they are aquainted so im thinking that they wont breed cause i had to add them at the same time

well i know that i have the right sexes and they were both in the same tank at walmart so they are aquainted so im thinking that they wont breed cause i had to add them at the same time

Regardless of the time you added them, they will still breed. All you need to do is wait. Trust me. :wink:

I think everyone missed the initial question...
His stick-on, self-adhesive, external thermometer is stuck on the inside of the tank, internal vs external, and his fish are exsposed to the adhesive.
Correct?
I'd remove it asap, regardless if the fish seem fine.
Lower the water level, dry the surrounding area well, remove the thermometer with a straight razor *, try to get as much adhesive off as possible by scraping with the blade and be careful when scraping not to let any scrapings of adhesive fall into the water.

******Not a acrylic tank is it? You can scratch those up quick if your not careful. Anyone have input on how to remove adhesive off acrylic?******

As you've already been told...
Mollies, just add water and whammo! More Mollies :D .

vinegar works wonders for safely removing adhesives, providing the fish are no where near the vinegar that is...even the littlest bit of vinegar in the tank with destroy the ph and dare i say possibly the tanks mini ecosystem...

good luck with the mollys :D

well i have the fish in the tank and you can see where the thermometer is on the picture of my new 29 gal tank and my dad said thet its fine right there so who should i listen to you or him?

You should definately remove the thermometer from the tank and get an external one. If something were to scrape against it and rupture the pockets, you could contaminate the tank. It needs to be replaced with one that can be either suction cuped to the inside of the tank, or a digital. The sticky's just aren't accurate. We used to have one on the 10 gal and it would read 74 while the digital read 76.5.

I agree, adhesives in the water is not a good long-term idea. Get the sticker off the inside of the tank.

And on another topic in the thread here, FWIW, my stick-on-the-outside thermometer is extremely accurate. I have two others (a hand-on-side one and a floater) and all three read the same to the nearest degree.

Of course, I trust the sticker one least of all. But in terms of just making a quick check of temp throughout the day, it is more than adequate for that. It registers temp changes up or down rather quickly, too.

so i should take the sticker off and put it on the outside of my tank?

It doesn't work too good when you take it off and restick so I'd say just throw it out and get a different one.

i cant cause we dont have another one

so im screwed right now :-(

You'll have to throw it away. It won't stick properly and won't give accurate readings if you peal it off and stick it back on. Chances are, it will just fall off the tank.

well today we are gonna get a digital thermometer for my tank to see what the temp REALLY is hopefully it will work good :roll: im just wodreing do you guys have any prices of what you guys think is a good price and also we are gonna get some fish (my dads recommendation) he said after about a year when i am able to take care of angel fish and small discus fish then i can graduate to saltwater and after saltwater my dad said he will buy me a 125 gallon tank for me

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

but hopefully i will be able to have enough patience for 2 years and get my 125 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I paid $6.99 for each of the 4 digital's that we have. Depending on where you go and the amount of options that you have, it may range from $5 to $10. I have seen automatic fish feeders (the ones from Wal-Mart) at other stores for $30! 8O

Back
Top Bottom