My time for a build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so my build thread is for my 75g. Set it up in my room. I am gonna have 1 wall with fish tanks. I am gonna have the 75g on the wall with the 20g tall were the 10g is. I have the filter running which is a cascade 1000. I will be putting like 3 shotglasses in there full of substrate from a old tank to help. I will be venturing to get substrate soon. But i want black sand and i usually use tahitian moon sand but i got a warning from mgamer that said he thinks it is made out of glass. He said that there was a warning towards bottom dwelling fish on it but i dont remember any and i did research and turned up nothing. Half of my stalk i plan on putting in here are diggers and scaleless fish so i need to be careful. Does anyone know if this holds any truth? and do you know if there is a sand that is black and very tiny like the tahitian moon sand? Also anyone know any good places to buy root tabs or a good substrate for some plant ferts?

dscf3576r.jpg

Yes all u guys get is a pic and a blurry pic at that of the tank filled and the filter running. I have the money for the sand but i need links to good places to buy either root tabs or some fert substrate. I only want to get 1 bag as i am going low tech. So answer my questions and we can speed this up. lol.

O lol, i meant to post that. I figured i would do it all in 1 so i can make you guys not so bored.

Current stock:
Bichir
Festivum
Golden Gouromi
Red tailed shark

Future stock:
Rams
African clawed frog
african butterflyfish
Kribinsis
Congo tetras
diamond tetras
Leapord ctepoma
cacelian worm
Angelfish
Another festivum
Rainbowfish
synidonis catfish
jaguar catfish
spotted rapheal catfish
pictus catfish
peacock eel
Eartheater
Black ghost knife fish
Elephant nose
Macrognathus mekongensis

Here is a list. I have room for stocking in the middle group as most of these are bottom dwellers and i plan on getting as i go not definates on any except a few. Any suggestions?

EDIT- The CURRENT STOCK is in the other tanks. lol

I haven't heard of any problems with Tahitian moon sand and bottom dwellers, but if it came from mgamer, I'd look into it. I see nothing wrong with glass sand as long as it's smooth. Try grinding some between your palms. If it feels sharp, don't use it. I believe EcoComplete comes in black also.

My pictus and striped raphael love my sand. The raphael really makes a mess when he decides he wants to dig. He actually killed a Penguin 200 filter by kicking up sand. Just some FYI.

Sounds like quite the stock list. Are you really going to cram all those fish in one tank or are those just possibilities? I see a few compatibility issues.

Sounds like quite the stock list. Are you really going to cram all those fish in one tank or are those just possibilities? I see a few compatibility issues.

The reason why i am looking into it even is because of mgamer. But ya, all those fish are my possibilities, but i am not going to be doing all of them. Just cutious what compatibility issues do you see there?

So know 1 knows any good black sand?

I think the smaller tetras would be snacks for a number of fish on that list. I'm not sure an elephant nose would be able to handle a pictus cat. My pictus is very territorial and will chase anything that comes near his cave. Elephant noses are supposed to be kinda fragile. The BGK might cause problems with some the other fish on that list too. I'm not super familiar with all the fish on that list, so I could be completely wrong. I'm sure you'll do your homework before you decide.

The Rainbowfish will also attempt to eat a small tetra. If it can catch one, both fish will die, because Rainbowfish have slender throats and will choke. I would reccomend all other fish be at least larger then an inch if you plan on keeping Rainbows. (Which I do hope you keep, they are awesome.)

I'm following! :)

Actually diamon tetras get about 3 inches and stay towards the top and it should be fine. Same with the congo tetras. So they should be fine. They are also oddly shaped so should be fine in that prospect. The pictus should be fine with them. They can be aggressive but not always are and i will watch for that. The BGK will be fine with all those fish as they have tiny mouths. I will not be putting the BGK and elephant nose together as they both are electric organ hunting fish. The tetras and the ram will be the most risky thing, but i plan on doing it right. I have experience with nearly every animal on that list. I am probably gonna have to find the gouromi a new home though but we will see as i go.

Sorry, I didn't know how big the tetras were. List looks like it has a lot of variety and well planned, good luck.

there is a warning on the bag. i have kept plecos in it and they were fine. just think its good to give a heads up. personally i think there is better options out there. flourite sand is at least somewhat good for plants and costs about the same. there is also quarts.... might still be able to find colorquarts. its black and small just they discontinued it. there are other local type of quarts here so i would look around in your area.

K guys, i have a update finally. A big thanks to Severum_Mama and HN1 For supplying the plants. I am not done just ran out of money. So here it is with sand and some plants.

dscf3756.jpg

dscf3754z.jpg

dscf3749r.jpg

dscf3755d.jpg

The plants are:
1 java fern
1 anubias hastifolia
1 melon sword
2 bunches hygrophila corymbosa
1 small Madagascar lace
3 Wendtii green
1 bolbitis
6 corkscrew vals

There will be rearanging once my paycheck gets in and i get rocks and more plants.

Jealous with a capital G! Lol. Looks awesome. Wish my lfs would restock their acei so I can get to work on my planted shrimp tank soon :)

Heh, shot glasses to hold old substrate. Love it!

lol, i was just having fun. You should see whats behind the camera. ;)

naa, i wasent drinking and planting, sounds like a asking for disaster.

lol, i was just having fun. You should see whats behind the camera. ;)

naa, i wasent drinking and planting, sounds like a asking for disaster.

Aquarium stands make excellent liquor cabinets?

Yep, you just got to make sure you reach for the drink and not the dechlorinator.

Back
Top Bottom