My Turtles Are Digging ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just wanted to know why my turtles are digging ?
Why do they dig?

I will post images soon.

How big/old are your turtles? Sexes? What is their habitat like? It is possible, if they are female and sexually mature, that they may be attempting to dig a hole for laying eggs (fertilised or otherwise).

turtles are about 3 inches in length. One is smaller than the other and unsure on sexes. There habitat is posted on another post but the area they are digging at is sand and under rocks. I thought it could be sexual maturity but I am unaware of there sexes.

At 3 inches in length, they are not sexually mature. Likely just habits of the turtles.

My RES's dig constantly, even before they were sexually mature. Also, you will see them begin courting when they become mature. The male will get on top of the female, and it's quite noticeable when it happens. With RES's, the male has a flatter shell and is lighter in color. The female is darker in color and has a more convex shell. Any chance you can get piccies?

what do you mean toirtis?

I checked the store I got them from which are not exactly knowledgable on the matter and they said it could be them looking for food. But they are fed at the other end of the tank every day so I dont think it is that.

Steven_Askham said:
what do you mean toirtis?

I mean that even if you have two females and no males, that once the turtles reach sexual maturity, they can (and will) lay unfertilised eggs.

It is possible that your turtles are engaging in natural foraging behaviour....digging for plants and invertebrates.

Thank you for your input, the turtle tank will soon be recieving a 'make over' wooo :) Any suggestion toirtis?

Well, I'm not Toirtis, but what does your tank look like now? Any chance for a picture? What do you mean a make over? Just going to move things around, or add new things?

Bigger tank; more defined, more dry land area; big canister filter; I cannot see what you are using as a heat-basking light, so I can't suggest anything there....ditto your UV source (I trust that there is no glass or plastic between the UV tube and the turtles?).

Back
Top Bottom