Mysterious white eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveAndLiz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys

Last night before we went to bed, we spotted some strange little white eggs on the side of the tank. On closer inspection we found them on leaves (both above and below) on other walls of the tank and on the filter. These eggs are about 1mm in diameter, are grouped together (like an egg depositor) and are situated about halfway up the tank (about 15cm above the gravel). We have noticed them once before about 5 months ago but they just disappeared (probably eaten).
The only egg depositors we have are 2 bronze catfish who seem uninterested in the eggs.
Other fish include
5 neon tetras
4 black neon tetras
6 danios (3 leopard, 3 zebra)
male siamese fighter
golden sucking loach....
.... and still several snails.

Can anyone tell us anything about these little eggs and what we should do with them.

Thanks

Sounds like snails to me.
Apple snails tend to lay eggs on the dry portion of the aquarium.
Others usually put theirs underneath the water.
Neons are egg scatters

Thought it was unlikely that they were catfish eggs, but we've only just "spring cleaned" the tank (including boiling the gravel to remove the snails). Before that we had hundreds of snails and now only 5 or 6. I don't understand why we haven't seen anything else like this in the last few months.
Don't thing they were apple snail eggs - they seem to lay eggs in bunches (almost like grapes) whereas these are grouped together but are in a single layer.

Just a FYI, but if you boiled your gravel, you likely killed off a good chunk of your good bacteria. Keep a close eye on your water parameters just in case!

My nerite snails lay eggs like what you describe, which are round and solid white (not gelatinous) and in a single layer, in a random pattern. They are quite firmly attached and difficult to scrape off. I have other snails that lay the globs of typical looking snail eggs, but these do not resembe that at all.

Back
Top Bottom