Mystery Apple Snails.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kryat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gal tank with 2 mystery apple snails (one black and one gold). And recently I noticed that the black one's (also the older and larger one) shell looked kind of strange near his head.

I couldn't tell if it was new section growing in or if it was dissolving away. I did some quick research online and found out that if the GH is too low, the water will start to dissolve away the snails shell. I took a test of the water and if i did it correctly, my water it very soft (2-3 dH or around 45-50 ppm).

Is there anyway to bring up the hardness without effecting the pH too much. I've heard putting other shells and limestone would help, but probably raise the pH conciderablly.

I've also heard that calcium carboniate would also raise the gH, but again would effect the pH as well.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I think you can put crushed coral in the filter or use it as a substrate.

Kents marine liquid calcium will raise gh and provide the much needed calcium for smooth snail shells. You also need a ph over 7. Liquid calcium will not raise ph or kh. Under 7 ph the acidic water dissolves the calcium in the snails shell and with a low gh there just isn't enough calcium for them to make a shell.

aqh88 said:
Kents marine liquid calcium will raise gh and provide the much needed calcium for smooth snail shells. You also need a ph over 7. Liquid calcium will not raise ph or kh. Under 7 ph the acidic water dissolves the calcium in the snails shell and with a low gh there just isn't enough calcium for them to make a shell.

Hmmm....I made need to consider this as my water is VERY soft. If liquid calcium can increase hardness without a pH shift that might be a good thing for my tank.

(History: I tried adding just a little crushed coral (less than a handful in 29 gal), but my pH went way up since there is essentially zero buffer in my tank. Now that I have taken the crushed coral out, the pH is much more stable even though hardness is low.)

Back
Top Bottom