Mystery fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I acquired him with a 65 gallon aquarium. The guy I bought it off of wasn't sure. Called it a shark.

How long is he? Reminds me of a smaller type of rainbowfish I see at my lfs. Think they're called celbese rainbows (or something similar)

I hate when I have no new suggestions.

It is not a freshwater "shark" (members of the catfish and minnow family), not a Celebes rainbow, nor is it a giant danio.

I admit to being at a loss ...

How big is it?

Interesting!

Did some more research.... Going by the scientific name it is a carp/barb... Can grow to 12 inches long.

That's a big fish

Oh, I didn't notice that you had already determined it was a "sailfin shark" ... not did I know that was a common name for Osteochilus. I had always known them as hard-lipped barbs.

Tony

Thankyou for the comments and the efforts to find the info I was looking for! Now the unfortunate part I either have to sell him or find another tank pretty quick. He's being bullied by a cichlid that's in the same aqaurium... I'll admit im new to the hobby and had no idea what I was in for when I bought that cichlid. I inquired with the pet store I purchased them from and they told it would be fine... Not such the case. Anyhow thanks again!

Looks kind of like some sort of barb to me.

ETA- Did not see there was already an answer, but hey, I got the barb part right! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom