Mystery Snail ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My mystery snail has not moved for a few day now. I have taken him out of the tank and smelt him, because i read if they are dead they have a strong oder, but he doesn't not smell at all. So I was wondering if anyone knew what was up or can give me anything to make sure he is alive or dead. Any info will help. Thanks.

Hope everyone had a Great Christmas !!!!

My mystery snail has not moved for a few day now. I have taken him out of the tank and smelt him, because i read if they are dead they have a strong oder, but he doesn't not smell at all. So I was wondering if anyone knew what was up or can give me anything to make sure he is alive or dead. Any info will help. Thanks.

They smell really bad when they die, some snails can sit closed up for a while. Have you gently touched his trap door? ( don't pull it though) if its tightly shut he's still alive. Anyone picking on him?

Snails can do a bit of a hibernation, so it is not uncommon for them to be inactive for a few days or more. What is your tank temp? Have you checked your water parameters? As shellyx asked, is he/she maybe getting picked on?

His shell is tightly shut, and I haven't noticed him being picked on at all. And the temp. is 78 degrees. Would Cory Catfish pick on him?? I haven't seen them do it but guess it doesn't mean they aren't.....

His shell is tightly shut, and I haven't noticed him being picked on at all. And the temp. is 78 degrees. Would Cory Catfish pick on him?? I haven't seen them do it but guess it doesn't mean they aren't.....

Wouldn't think so, cories are peaceful, they never bothered mine. Just keep an eye on him.

Still has not moved. Her shell is still tightly closed and it doesn't smell. Do i need to worry yet?

sounds like hes still alive, but like the asked what your water temp/parameters. temp especially. Did you say you just got him? Is your temp lower than the stores?

Temp is 78 and parameters are good. And no i have had him for a few months now

Something very similar happened to my mystery snail i have had it for over a year and its always been great for cleaning up leftover food and fish waste, up until a month ago it started acting strange hardly moving or coming out of its shell it even started just floating around the surface inside its shell and it would stay like that for over a week and i would take it out it did not smell and i would poke its protective covering and it would move so it was still alive it just would not move or do anything. However i remembered a few weeks earlier i placed the snail in with my green spotted puffer i know puffers eat snails but my snail was larger than the fish so i figured it was alright. I removed the snail a week or so later to place in a different tank and noticed its feelers answer eyes were completely gone and it had small bites on Its body. So i wonder if the snails behavior had anything to do with that because i suppose with no feelers to sense its way around it was basically rendered useless.

Polyptrus, if it had no feelers it probably wouldn't know what to do or where to go, so that could be the case.

Back
Top Bottom