Mystery snail death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

App

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a mystery snail about 2-3 weeks ago. It ran around the tank a few times. Then, a few days later, it stopped moving completely. I thought it was wierd since I haven't had a snail before. So I made a post here, and everyone told me it was normal. So ok, I look in my tank tonight it I see a somewhat clearish brown colored ring that looks like the bottom of a snail on the bottom of my tank. So I take it out and wonder if maybe it's just the snail growing, figured it was dead though. So I took the snail out and it stinks. OK dead snail, fish are still alive and doing well though. I have a ten gallon with one female betta and 6 bloodfin tetras. I had quite a few pond snails in there too, but I don't see them too much anymore. I'm assuming they died. Why would the snails die? My last tank parameters are as follows:

10-17-06
NH3 - 0 ppm
NO2 - 0 ppm
NO3 - 10 ppm

I didn't add the mystery snail until my tank was fully cycled and I do about a 35% water change every two weeks. I now measure my tank every two weeks right before the cycle. Is this good tank maintenance?

Thank you

How old is the tank?

What are the current readings?

Nitrites can kill inverts fairly easily. Also if you ever used any medication or ferts with copper in them it can still be in your tank and any will kill your snail.

-Pleco

Tank is not more than a year old. I have only owned it for 3 months. I think the old owner had a goldfish in it. I have never used any chemicals on it and I doubt he ever has. I know copper kills all inverts. How do I stop nitrites if they start rising? What is usually at fault?

Nitrites form as a result of conversion from ammonia - so just keep checking your ammonia and if you have any do a PWC (or many) to get them down.
Heavy metals in your water could do it - the LFS should have a copper test, you might want to have them test it just in case (it could come from the water itself or the pipes in your house - not only from meds).

Copper & Lead from water pipe might do it, but any good dechlor will bind the heavy metals.

It could also be old age. Apple snails lasts 12 to 18 months (shorter if kept in tropical temps), who know how long they have been in the lfs ....

Nitrites is unlikely - as the reading in first post shows it to be zero & NO3 to be 10, indicating a cycled tank.

Back
Top Bottom