Mystery Snail question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxxcellarator

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello, ive just recently bought 2 Gold Mystery Snails to put in with my Goldfish. im extremely happy that the snails are doing just fine. the goldfish always ignore them exept for some very very rare times when they seem to get exited over something and they started to pat the snails on thier shells probably thinking theres some food on there.

Anyways, the thing is, the snails' shells are yellow but they have some greenish stuff on them. so i was wondering if its possible to maybe get that off (cleaning it off) or if its part of their natural colour. Thank you

That is algae. I suppose you could gently scrub it off. You could also get an algae eater fish as long as your tank doesn't get too crowded.

FYI...since you have two Mystery snails you might get babies. Watch out for eggs!

www.applesnail.net for more info.

Mystery Snails

I started with two mystery snails, 1 gold, 1 black. Gold was female, black male. Soon above the water line I had a huge clutch of eggs. Several weeks later they hatched. I had a GAZILLAN snails in a 29 gal. tank. As they grew I would take 20 to 30 out and give to my lfstores. I counted over 300 hundred snails I gave away from that one clutch. Since then, when eggs are laid I take them out and dispose of them. :cry: but just two many snails! they breed worse than rabbits!!!! :roll: I have 15 snails that I kept. They are in various tanks. I have 4. Not good to put them in with large plecos. They get rolled and are treated like a soccer ball. 8O Just thought I would let you know!!

lol thanks. mine dont seem to have babies any time soon. im not even sure if they are Male and Female. is there a way of telling? tnks

haha, I'm sure you could get rid of the babies over AA. I'd just try to scrape off the algae once and a while, the snail could take it

The snails all look the same to me. Once they reach maturity, if they start breeding you will know you have a male and a female.

i have 2 questions. 1.) if a snail is stuck onto the glass and i want to pull it off is it gonna break? its stuck extremely tight and i tryed to pull it and it was stretching like crazy and i was afraid to continue pulling it. 2.) if a snail stays in the same spot for 2 days does that mean its sick or should i be concerned with it having any problems?

xxxcellarator said:
i have 2 questions. 1.) if a snail is stuck onto the glass and i want to pull it off is it gonna break? its stuck extremely tight and i tryed to pull it and it was stretching like crazy and i was afraid to continue pulling it. 2.) if a snail stays in the same spot for 2 days does that mean its sick or should i be concerned with it having any problems?

1. move snail from where it is attached very carefully. It helps to gently rock the snail back and forth. You can also try to inch a fingernail under its foot to break the seal. You can slowly gently slide a snail a ways on the glass and maybe it will break the seal. Above all, don't pull on 'em too hard. You can pull off the shell and then the snail will die. :cry:

2. Generally a dead snail isn't attached to anything. So if it has its foot on the glass or a decoration, it's alive. If you're concerned, gently pull the snail off (see #1), put a snail-type treat out like an algae wafer, and put the snail close to the treat. She will probably be thrilled with the easy lunch. :)

Back
Top Bottom