Mystery snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smartiepants

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I I have a fairly new (beginning of Nov) 6 gallon fluval edge tank, it contains one betta, a guppy , 3 ghost shrimp and 2 mystery snails and live plants. All seem healthy. One of the snails has started growing really fast, I would say that the back of his shell has put on at least an inch!!!! The other snail maybe an 8 th of an inch. Is that normal? How big do they get. And will it start to overload my tank if it gets too big? Does it mean something is wrong with the tank? Thanks for any insight.

Smartiepants said:
I I have a fairly new (beginning of Nov) 6 gallon fluval edge tank, it contains one betta, a guppy , 3 ghost shrimp and 2 mystery snails and live plants. All seem healthy. One of the snails has started growing really fast, I would say that the back of his shell has put on at least an inch!!!! The other snail maybe an 8 th of an inch. Is that normal? How big do they get. And will it start to overload my tank if it gets too big? Does it mean something is wrong with the tank? Thanks for any insight.

Mystery snails get to about the size of a golf ball usually. Some species the size of a baseball! Though I would worry about them getting that big.

Is your tank cycled?

I saw a mystery snail that was about a size of a half dollar, they get pretty big. Someone here had one a size of a medium lemon.

In terms of growing rate, it grows pretty slow IME. And they shouldn't outgrow your tank unless you have some really aggressive fish in there.

Smartiepants said:

I dont think that means anythings wrong, and they font get too big. How big is it now? When they start to have babies youll have way too many, so then you could sell them to us/the lfs!

I'm sorta experienced with fish but I'm not sure what the term cycling means... Would some one kindly inform me thanks...
-Josh

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
I'm sorta experienced with fish but I'm not sure what the term cycling means... Would some one kindly inform me thanks...
-Josh

Cycling in the process of growing bacteria in your filter to process the ammonia your fish produce.

No fish yet I'm just piecing it together tank is 55gs and no heater YET it's in the mail I have 2/3 the filtration I need I'm still working on that and a light and lid it has been filled with filter running for bout 3 days should I turn off filter and let it sit??

Lol well I also have a 20g and a 30g fresh so I could still like to understand this concept

Ok, every tank needs cycling. It is the process of growing bacteria in your filter to process ammonia. All fish, snails and inverts produce ammonia. If allowed to build up the ammonia can burn, injure, deform or kill them. First a set if BB (beneficial bacteria) grow in your filter and consume the ammonia and produce nitrite. Then a second set grow and consume the nitrite and produce nitrate. The nitrate is then removed/diluted with a weekly water changes. The whole process takes 4-8 weeks.

U r being very helpfully but in simpler terms what do I do? (I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed)

Well if you have fish in a new tank the link I posted above is what you have to do. There is another option called fishless cycling but can only be done before fish are added. Here's the link:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Do you own a test kit for fresh water?

It might be a good idea to start a different thread. We seemed to have hijacked! Sorry!

I have never had a prob wit my water or tanks exept for on case of ick each(both tanks seperate times) and I don't understand this so thank u for the info I found it very interesting but imma just keep my tanks how they r.......

Hehe, back to the enormous snail... Yes my tank cycled and it seems to me that this snail started his growth spurt after that ended. I would say he is nearly upto golf ball size.I hope he slows down a bit or hemayhave to move out!! As for babies, I don't think that this particular tank is very good for them as there is only a very small area open to air and I don't think they have found thier way yet. Thanks for the help, hope the cycling advice helps josh!!!

Back
Top Bottom