Mystery snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluff

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got some mystery snails and from what I've read, in order for them to be their best, their water should be supplemented with iodine and calcium. My question is, how will that effect the other tank inhabitants? Their tank mates are cory cats and algea eaters. TIA

I have never supplemented the diet of mystery snails, but what you could do is put in some crab pellets (Hikari makes some) and hopefully the snail would eat some.

I've read they need the calcium for shell growth. Not sure what the iodine is for. I've also seen where you can put cuttle bone in the tank. I'll try to find some crab pellets and see what happens. I'm still curious though if the addition of calcium would bother the fish. I'm thinking probably not. Thanks TankGirl.

oh.... i never did any of that... i just put in a couple algae wafers in every now and then and they chow em down. my snails have probally tripled their size in about 8 months. i think theyve slowed down in growing since it doesnt look like their growing as fast. i have a ph of around 7.2 but i put aragnite in with them with my brichardis.

What is your pH? If you have hard water and a pH of 7+, I dont think you'll need to worry about it. Its people with soft, acidic water that have a hard time keeping snails.

How are your brichardi doing crap? How many do you have? What size are they? What else is in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom