Mystery snails for algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexFishKeeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my 20 gallon aquarium, I'm having a small algae bloom that I'm hoping to stop before it gets any worse. I do have a bristlenose plecostomous, but he hasn't been too much of a help; he mostly has an appetite for peas and zucchini. Should a mystery snail help with this much? If not, what other snails would be good help for an algae bloom?

Mystery snails, Ramshorn snails, Malaysian trumpet snails, and nerites all eat algae. My mystery snails do a great job of keeping any algae down. You could cut back on feeding to encourage your fish to eat the algae. Pond snails will eat algae too but most people do not want them.

Oh great! How often would you recommend feeding him? Currently I'm feeding him half a pea every 2- 3 days

My mystery snails don't eat any algae. At least not that I can tell. I had 6 in a 20g, and there was still algae growth. Got rid of them. BN Pleco really should be in a 30g minimum, they can grow to 4" and have heavy bioloads.

My mystery snails don't eat any algae. At least not that I can tell. I had 6 in a 20g, and there was still algae growth. Got rid of them. BN Pleco really should be in a 30g minimum, they can grow to 4" and have heavy bioloads.

Okay thank you very much!! And I wasn't aware of that! Most sites I've seen and my lfs both said he'd do well in my 20g, as long as I didn't overstock and did weekly water changes as I do now.

I'm sure they can live in a 20, but for their bioloads and size I would say 30, especially if you want to have more stocking options for the rest of the tank.

Ok thanks for the advice! I'll look into a possible change of environment for him then. Thanks for telling me this!

If you have a lot of algae than I would only feed the snail once a week. It will not hurt him if there is algae and dead plant matter in the tank. He will eat that. I feed mine about twice a week now that my algae is almost all gone. They eat leftover fish food too. I stopped feeding my snails for two weeks until the algae was gone. It was fun watching them eat the algae off of plant leaves and the tank walls.

If you have a lot of algae than I would only feed the snail once a week. It will not hurt him if there is algae and dead plant matter in the tank. He will eat that. I feed mine about twice a week now that my algae is almost all gone. They eat leftover fish food too. I stopped feeding my snails for two weeks until the algae was gone. It was fun watching them eat the algae off of plant leaves and the tank walls.

Were these mystery snails?

No snail eats specifically algae except for the nerite snail, have 3 in my 55 gallon and they keep retiring in check

Yes, I was talking about mystery snails. They were the first snails I ever kept. I had a dark purple, magenta, and wild type. My tank was new and I went through every beginner tank problem you can name. I had bottle brush algae, diatoms, green spot algae, and hair algae. My snails would climb on a leaf and eat the bottle brush algae from around the edges of the leaves. They never ate the plant unless a leaf was dying. I still have 2 offspring from my wild type and dark purple mystery snail. I have added ramshorns and malaysian trumpet snails since then. I occasionally have some green spot algae show up and all the snails eat it. I have a ten gallon that developed a hair algae problem when I let my CO2 run out. I put an ivory mystery snail baby in there and some ramshorns. They are eating the algae and it is almost gone. I feed them plant wafers once a week. They do eat what fish food they can beat the fish too.

Yes, I was talking about mystery snails. They were the first snails I ever kept. I had a dark purple, magenta, and wild type. My tank was new and I went through every beginner tank problem you can name. I had bottle brush algae, diatoms, green spot algae, and hair algae. My snails would climb on a leaf and eat the bottle brush algae from around the edges of the leaves. They never ate the plant unless a leaf was dying. I still have 2 offspring from my wild type and dark purple mystery snail. I have added ramshorns and malaysian trumpet snails since then. I occasionally have some green spot algae show up and all the snails eat it. I have a ten gallon that developed a hair algae problem when I let my CO2 run out. I put an ivory mystery snail baby in there and some ramshorns. They are eating the algae and it is almost gone. I feed them plant wafers once a week. They do eat what fish food they can beat the fish too.

They sound like great pets. I've always found snails absolutely fascinating. Looks like I'll have a new aquarium inhabitant soon then! Thank you for the helpful information!

Yea they are, don't get out of control, if I am not mistaken, I don't even think they can breed in freshwater

Mysterys can breed in fresh water the don't lay eggs in the water tho they will climb out onto the glass and lay them there because of this removal of eggs is easy pull them out and crush them :)

Mysterys can breed in fresh water the don't lay eggs in the water tho they will climb out onto the glass and lay them there because of this removal of eggs is easy pull them out and crush them :)

We were talking about nerite snails

Oh that's good! I wouldn't want a snail problem... Fortunately I've been careful, so I've only had one incident where snails could've begun populating, but I ended that quickly

Nerite snail eggs only hatch in salt water. They will lay a lot of eggs though. I have seen numerous complaints from people that their nerites are leaving little white eggs all over everything. Certain fish will eat the eggs though. Mystery snails lay eggs in grape like clusters above the water line. Easy to remove and dispose of if you do not want a lot of baby snails. Just be sure to crush the egg sack before throwing it away or freeze them. They can hatch in the trash and get into the environment where they become a problem. Ramshorn snail eggs are laid on plants and decor and are clear, small lumps that are not that noticeable. They are impossible to remove too.

Wonderful, that's very helpful!! So over all, would you recommend mystery or nerite snails?

I would recommend Nerites if you do not want to have to remove eggs. Also, I have wanted Nerites and haven't been able to find them locally. :lol: I would say mystery snails if you do not want lots of white specks (eggs) in your tank. Both snails eat algae.

Back
Top Bottom