Mystery Snails - questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpgmomma8404

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought three mystery snails one for each tank I have. I've done some research but always find it conflicting. Now recently I just read you can't have aquarium salt in your tank for snails. My betta tanks are salt free but my swordtail tank isn't. Last time I did a water change I added just one tablespoon to the 29 gallon. I have the snails floating in their bags in the tanks. I don't want to add it if there is a chance that the salt is going to hurt and end up killing it. Also, I know they need calcium in the water. I couldn't find anything at the pet store for it so what can I used? I bought algae wafers and it says to have it but I'm sure that isn't enough for the snails. Do I also need the calcium right away? Like before I add them into the tank.

I have had mystery snails in a 10 gallon that I added 1 tablespoon of salt too a day. The snails are still doing fine. Even my ramshorns survived. I did do water changes every two days to keep the salt from building up. I think it takes a lot more salt than you would think to harm the snails. You can use human calcium supplements for the snails. The one with Vitamin D is fine. You can also use eggshells (just crack, rinse and throw in the tank), antacid tablets like Tums (fruit flavored ones are well liked), cuttlefish bone (find in bird supplies), and there is a recipe for a block made of plaster of paris on applesnails.net (never tried that one). You can also feed them dandelions, spinach, zucchini, different lettuce, and search the net for snail jello recipes. They will also eat any fish food you feed. You can have one mystery snail per 10 gallons of water. Two if you stay on top of water changes. They are messy. You also need a PH of 7 or better to prevent shell erosion.

Salt and snails dont mix well and will more than likely kill the snails. Your water supply should contain some calcium and never heard of people supplimenting calcium for snails, im not saying it doesnt happen.

But to answer your question, i wouldnt add MS to a tank that has salt in it.

Some salt is fine. I have personal experience with this. Not getting enough calcium is why many pet store snails have pitted shells that crack easily. If your water has a naturally high PH you can get by without supplementing but it really helps the snails if you do. Thicker shells, better growth, and just healthier snails.

Back
Top Bottom