Myth or factional?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it true fish won't eat in the dark or is this a myth?
Background story: I'm moving soon so I only have two tanks currently with fish. I will be buying a timer for my 55g planted tank when I go on vacation. The other tank that is a 30g l with fry. Is it okay if I just leave the light off on this tank. This tank only has fry and no plants. I bought feeders for both tanks but will the fry in the 30 eat in the dark? It won't exactly be dark as there is windows upstairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If the lights are off but the room is fairly well lit I'd say that the fish will eat.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Also depends on the fish. Some are naturally active feeders in the dark.

The tank that I was going to leave the light off on is a tank with cichlid fry.

Most fish will eat as long as they can see their food- and that doesn't take much.

+1 depends on the fish. My rainbow shark comes out to eat during the day, but is also very active at night. My pleco eats in the dark as well.

I always feed my fish right before turning off the lights for the night. Never seen a skinny one yet, and I have hundreds of them.

Complete myth. All my fish eat with the lights off. Also fishing at night is one of the best times to fish!

all fish are capable of eating in complete darkness. They can smell/taste their food using their olfactory senses and can sense and catch moving live food using their lateral line system, which detects minute electrical currents.

Okay thanks. I thought it was a myth but I've been told otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom