Name this plant!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Renewablemommy

Aquarium Advice Regular
As some of you know I have taken on a friends 55 gallon it could no longer properly care for it. With its came a seven-year-old plant that has seen better days. It had a ton of black algae growing all over it. I have gotten rid of all the algae over the past two days, removed all of the dead leaves, and it is still soaking in my bathtub until I can be sure it's OK to put it back in the main tank. My question is I have no idea what Santa says! I have no idea if it would be best for me to put the roots below my river stones or if it's more of a floating Plant. Thanks in advance for taking a look! image.jpg

It is an Anubias, possibly coffiefolia, and is not a floater. It can be attached to a piece of wood or stone or planted in the substrate. The rhizome must be completely above the substrate if planted. Only the roots go into the substrate. It will thrive in low light conditions. you can leave the damaged leaves for now and remove if they get worse.
You could cut the rhizome to make several pieces if you like.
With Anubias, I usually soak the leaves (right to the rhizome) in a 1:20 bleach/water solution for a minute or two, to kill any algae.

It is Anubias Coffiefolia and they like very low light. Keep it to the sides of the tank. My leaves where turning yellow and dyeing until I moved them out of direct light.

I am jealous of yours they are very slow growers. Mine will take forever to get that length.

Back
Top Bottom