Nano fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm working on creating a 5 gallon planted tank. What would be a good schooling species? Are apistogrammas an option?

Dwarf cichlids. I might try embers. I want some thing bright or schooling.

That's why I'm probably going with the celestial pearl danio they are so cool looking I found some on LA so maybe I'm still stuck in the dwarf gourmi though lol but the blue tetras are fun but probably not as bright as you are looking for...can't wait to see what it looks like though

The celestial pearls are shy so that's a problem. They're also expensive.

Imo any of the apistogramma types would need a 10gal. minimum. They're not schooling or shoaling fish either, though a single male can have multiple females in a harem.

I like the scarlet basis. They're picky eaters though. I might get rasboras.

Killie clowns, chili rasboras, galaxy rasbora, green neon tetra, and ember tetra come to mind.

Aquascapes has some nice nano rasboras, right? Pretty expensive though, haha. I'd go ember tetras if you want to keep price down, but they're also pretty timid and not a very tight schooling fish. And I know you said schooling fish but a DP is always a winning option... :)

I might go with killis. Green neons would also be cool. I might give red ruby tetras a try.

A 5 gallon is going to be too small for most tetras, but the dwarf neon rasbora is a really nice choice for a tank that size. What species of killies do you have in mind? Epiplatys like gold wonders get pretty big and eat anything that fits in their large mouth. Some really nice choices come from the chromaphyosemion genus they have a bit more elaborate finnage and a calmer temperment compared to other killies.

I was planning on using clown killis. I might stick with rasboras or thread fin rainbows.

Back
Top Bottom