Nano Paludarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaeroo

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've been throwing the idea around about making my aqueon evolve 4 (the tank is 3.7g to be exact) into a paludarium. Haven't really read about it too much so I am asking what the basic things you need to have in order for this to work. I would like to make this inexpensive because this is only my first one. I originally planned to stock the tank with a betta but the flow is outrageous on this thing and I know the betta is going to have a terribly hard time trying to swim, so I thought a paludarium would work better for him since the water would trickle down the side.

I still have to figure out how low the water level can be so that the filter still works. Also, I don't know how to go about building the land part. I heard that expanding foam can be toxic or could disintegrate over time? I would also like it to be removable just in case this experiment is a bust. But totally a newbie on this so any information will help! Thanks!

P.S. Are these types of tanks high maintenance? (I can deal with trimming plants and doing wc and what not)

I am not particularly familiar with paludariums but that size tank is barely large enough for a betta all by itself. When you talk about dropping the water level and adding in a land mass it just cuts out too much water for the betta making the tank too small.

The pimp should be adjustable so you could tone down the water flow making it more suitable for a betta without turning it into a paludarium.

Okay, I see what you mean. The betta isn't currently housed in that tank so I could stock it with something else. I would just like to know how to make one and what the best method would be.

Okay, I see what you mean. The betta isn't currently housed in that tank so I could stock it with something else. I would just like to know how to make one and what the best method would be.

How I would personally do it would be along the lines of something like this.

I rally like paludariums! Throwing the idea around myself but with mudskippers with my 10 gallon. I wouldn't sweat about the foam, as long as it isn't touching the water and you let it dry properly before adding water. If I were you I would do some chili rasboras in the water, but then the problem would be finding something land roaming that wouldn't eat the rasboras. I'm following!

Could do dart frogs, colorful, shouldn't eat the fish. Though only stick to one species, I'm a fan of the strawberries myself

Could do dart frogs, colorful, shouldn't eat the fish. Though only stick to one species, I'm a fan of the strawberries myself

Dart frogs have been known to occasionally drown, too expensive to risk if you ask me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom