Narrow tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hotdog654321

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My tank is unusual. It forms half the wall between my bathroom and bedroom and is visible from both sides. The dimensions are width: 130cm, height: 125cm, depth: 18.5cm. It is stocked with about 20 freshwater tropical fish, including cichlids, parrot fish, loaches, tiger barbs. The fish are healthy and lively. The main form of aquascaping is gravel at the bottom and 3 vertical bamboo poles along the width. The airline runs through one of the poles. There is, given the depth, no room for rocks and the like. Bamboo poles rot and also leech into the water. I would like to replace them with something else, with a material that won't rot, and also that I can put an airline through. I intend to have two airlines.

I would be grateful for your suggestions on what I might use.

Many thanks, John

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!! :mrgreen:

I would use a fake plant (or a real one if you have decent light) to obscure the airline. If you are particularly crafty you could make a planted false wall, by using plastic mesh screen or the plastic mesh that is used in sewing crafts and attaching java moss to it, curving it from one corner to the other.

You certainly have an interesting tank and I am glad it is working out with such a narrow dimension.

Use a real wall....who wants to be able to see you in the bathroom....ewww! :wink: :lol:

I agree...a high-quality artificial plant or two would work well and look pretty realistic.

smilies-35568.png

Do you have a picture of your tank?

Very odd location, but whatever floats your boat.

I would also LOVE to see some pictures. Sounds interesting and it may give me an idea of what we're [hopefully] getting built in to our new house (a 400+ gallon in-wall tank - waiting on the contractor). Sounds interesting!

Picture of my narrow tank

My apologies for not replying earlier, but I have been away with no net access.

However, here is a picture of my narrow tank as some requested. It should show my dilemma.

And thank you for all your comments so far.

John

Attachments

• e_j0112.jpg
    e_j0112.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 43
You could of course use PVC pipe that has been decorated. One method can be found here: http://petfish.net/PVC_cave_tower_instuctions.htm

For the airline, I would just use a solid length of tubing, but this method could also be used for some other decoration. You could also use this method with other aquarim safe materials (other than sand and gravel) to get a different look.

Thanks for sharing your picture with us! Cool - but I can see your dilemma.
The Cave Tower Instructions would be a very interesting option. Keep in touch and let us know how your aquarium develops!

Back
Top Bottom