Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
vespasianus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 90
Narrowed fish options

So tl;dr I need fishes that could do well in warm water, doesn't need the aquarium planted at all and are apt for a 20 high. Thanks.

EDITED: Made the long story short to attract more readers lol.
__________________

__________________
vespasianus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I have my 20 gal high I'm about to set up. It's going to have sand as a substrate and mostly rocks, or a big piece of driftwood. Thing is I want this tank to be different from my previous ones and I don't want it planted. To be honest for years I've had planted tanks with vrious levels of success and I'm kinda tired of it, I don't wnat plants on this one. For bottom feeders I have decided on kuhli loaches but I really don't know what fish or fishes to get as a centerpiece because I've been reading a lot of fish profiles and most of them need plants or heavily planted aquariums and this one I really don't want plants at all. I also have the space constraint and the fact that most of the year my water will remain a constant 86F, because of where I live.

So tl;dr I need fishes that could do well in warm water, doesn't need the aquarium planted at all and are apt for a 20 high. Thanks.
86 degrees is pretty hot. The house/apartment stays that temp most of the year! Not many fish actually want a temp that high.
__________________

__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
vespasianus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 90
Well the aquarium hobby here is very active. I've also kept fish for some 10 years now, various amounts of species in these kinds of temps. My guess is the fish survive these temps here because most of them are farm bred right here so they may have developed tolerance over generations lol. You can probably guess though, coldwater fish and goldfish are not so popular here in the caribbean lol.
__________________
vespasianus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Well the aquarium hobby here is very active. I've also kept fish for some 10 years now, various amounts of species in these kinds of temps. My guess is the fish survive these temps here because most of them are farm bred right here so they may have developed tolerance over generations lol. You can probably guess though, coldwater fish and goldfish are not so popular here in the caribbean lol.
Wow. The Caribbean is definitely HOT! Lol. Yeah I guess if the fish r bread there, they r used to the temps.
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
vespasianus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 90
Almost all the fish profiles I see here , they require some sort of plants and I really have this urge to do an unplanted tank . If you guys got any species in mind let me know, please. What my tank would have is a large piece of driftwood, lot of rocks and sand.
__________________
vespasianus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Almost all the fish profiles I see here , they require some sort of plants and I really have this urge to do an unplanted tank . If you guys got any species in mind let me know, please. What my tank would have is a large piece of driftwood, lot of rocks and sand.
Do U want it aggressive or community?
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
vespasianus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post
Do U want it aggressive or community?

Leaning more towards community. But almost all community fish I've seen require plants of some sort. So far for bottom dwellers I'll definitely have kuhli loaches.
__________________
vespasianus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post

Leaning more towards community. But almost all community fish I've seen require plants of some sort. So far for bottom dwellers I'll definitely have kuhli loaches.
The semi aggressive and full aggressive fish usually don't need plants. Most community do need plants.
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
dustinfeint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 150
If you want just sand and driftwood and with that temp...Im thinking a Discus species only tank!
__________________
dustinfeint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
vespasianus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 90
If Tiger barbs can be counted as semi-aggresive I would love those. But then someone told me they need plants or they'll fight too much.
__________________
vespasianus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
vespasianus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinfeint View Post
If you want just sand and driftwood and with that temp...Im thinking a Discus species only tank!
If only I could have discus in a 20 high .
__________________
vespasianus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
dustinfeint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post

If only I could have discus in a 20 high .
Maybe it's upgrade time!
__________________
dustinfeint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
vespasianus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinfeint View Post
Maybe it's upgrade time!
Wel I have a 55 back in my parent's but for now the 20 is my priority.
__________________
vespasianus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinfeint View Post
If you want just sand and driftwood and with that temp...Im thinking a Discus species only tank!
I wouldn't get discus as they r hard to take care of and r very sensitive to water parameters.
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
dustinfeint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post

I wouldn't get discus as they r hard to take care of and r very sensitive to water parameters.
I am wondering why you would ever tell somebody not to get something? As long as the requirements are met and their well being taken care of I don't understand why it would ever be a problem. I am a Discus keeper and enthusiastic about them.
__________________
dustinfeint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
If Tiger barbs can be counted as semi-aggresive I would love those. But then someone told me they need plants or they'll fight too much.
Haha. They r semi-aggressive. They only fight in groups that r smaller than 4.
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
vespasianus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post

Haha. They r semi-aggressive. They only fight in groups that r smaller than 4.
Plant wise, do they NEED plants? Or could they get by without them? I really like those little bandits but never got them cause of their rep.
__________________
vespasianus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinfeint View Post

I am wondering why you would ever tell somebody not to get something? As long as the requirements are met and their well being taken care of I don't understand why it would ever be a problem. I am a Discus keeper and enthusiastic about them.
Discus r fun fish to keep but I'm just warning him it is harder to keep than some other fish.
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Alyxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Slidell, La
Posts: 2,284
Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Why not use artificial plants?
__________________
Alyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
dustinfeint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post

Discus r fun fish to keep but I'm just warning him it is harder to keep than some other fish.
Yes. It does require a lot of knowledge patience and money!!
__________________

__________________
dustinfeint is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.